Poor physics in minigolf for TU

I don’t feel like going into mathematics on these shots (which is what I’m best at), but this is impossible, defying Newton’s third law of physics (unless we’re using a pool cue or such while applying english).

I’m pretty sure that the PixelTail teams are aware of the odd physics and are working on it. But I’m not completely positive.

1 Like

You also gotta keep in mind that the ball is not on ice. There is an action acting on the back of the ball, launching it forward, but energy is also transferred into the astro-turf and it tends to cause a bit of friction.

When minigolf was first released, players would complain that the floor felt like ice as the balls would ignore friction for the most part and slip and slide as they please. This led to a lot of people overshooting their shots, so they changed the friction of the floor to grab the ball a bit more.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the friction he’s pointing out, I think he’s bringing attention to rebound angles. Even though he hits the ball into the straight wall at an angle, they bounce out perpendicular to the wall.

2 Likes

I experimented, and it seems like the rebound angles are either 1/2 the amount or 2x the amount they should be, depending on the shot. I’m not sure if it has to do with the minigolf code though; it might just be something with the UE4 physics.

Thanks for your report! This has been forwarded straight to our Trello board. You can track its status there (it takes a couple minutes to show up on Trello).

1 Like