My Steam review and concerns

I have explained the reasoning behind Fishing here:

To expand on it for you, it got delayed because of an unforseen requirement that Valve put on us, which came during a time where we planned to make a holiday event. The Halloween event was a test of multiple upcoming planned features (cooking, fishing, metal detector, minigame/event system, dialogue system, seasonal events).

Fishing has been put back on full development for the past month now, if you read my daily logs. I am working as fast as I can on it. However, keep in mind that we also just had to update to the latest Unreal engine version, which has kinda put my focus on fixing regression bugs that came up. We upgraded the engine to solve several commonly reported bugs such as: D3D crashes (the most common crash report), 1/4 screen issues with Condo, media player FPS, Minigolf physics issues, and several other issues.

The gameplay that was previously being worked on was scrapped for very good reasons. It was: dull, boring, and not fun. It was not up to our standards and I spent a lot of time prototyping to find gameplay that is exciting, interesting, and most of all, fun. I would say scrapping what we had was the best thing for Fishing.

I have explained this to you in the past, but I’ll repost it.

To sum it up, it was NEVER a focus nor did it slow down progress of any other feature. It was simply just finished off because we solved a seat bug (a bug that needed to be solved anyways).

The laser projector could have waited, but the work done on it was done by a part time programmer. It also was a test of systems Zak was working on for Arcade and Condo IO.

That’s kinda how it has to be right now. Lifeless and Johanna have been busy with plaza events and fixing up the current Plaza map, along with developing other maps for Zombie Massacre. They can only really take up so many projects at one time. I do wish things can just be made quicker, but these things take time and that’s really gonna be a factor here. There has been more work on this than just a block out.

Planet Panic was my mistake for keeping it in the dark for so long. I have been trying to balance as much as I can, but I run out of time in the day (hell, I worked Thanksgiving just to get stuff done on Fishing). I will be returning to this game world soon after the Winter events.

This is how game development works. We need blockouts of maps and ideas to start developing gameplay for it. We’re using Container Ship to establish the art style, gameplay style, and mood of SDNL.

Krionikal has been working on animations for the weapons still. Matt and Johanna are nearly done with all the weapon models. Weapons take a lot of time to model and animate, unfortunately, and when you combine that with other things coming up, it tends to be less prioritized. We do have an internal deadline for the Virus weapons, though.

This was taken off development because it is a lot of work and not something that is super important right now. I mean I’m going through this list you’ve posted and there’s already like tons of other more important features that we could be spending time on. That’s why it’s not implemented.

We’re finishing up smaller stuff that lead into the Arcade development. We decided to get Zombie Massacre out before Arcade. Arcade is a very large project that will require complete focus on. Thus, Fishing needs to be done and out of the way before Arcade development can begin. Another major factor is Arcade development will slow down updates to a grinding halt as we gotta focus on this one. Johanna has finished most of the models for the cabinets, Zak has put a lot of work into the 2D API and it’s nearly there, and I have put a lot of work into the 3D gameplay backend,

So it’s not like we’ve forgotten or don’t put any thought into the Arcade. Everyone on the team knows it’s one of the most anticipated features, which is why we’re taking our time with it and making sure it’ll meet the expectations.

The monorail was not a very difficult feature to finish, but it was a feature promised and finished so we can get it out of the way. It also added some life to the Plaza. The monorail was also the same code used for the rollercoaster.

I think the main thing I can take from this is that we’re not doing a good enough job at explaining why we’re focusing on this feature instead of that other feature for you. It’s easy for us to look at the game and plan out the best course and direction to go in terms of game development, but it’s not clear to the public sometimes.

That’s what the daily logs were designed to help with. They are there to inform the public what we are working on. It is not entirely clear why we are working on the things we post on the log, which is the disconnect I’m seeing here.

In the past, I posted bi-weekly summaries of development progress, but I stopped as it ended up taking more time out of my development day than I anticipated. Maybe that’s what we can take from this. Instead of doing daily logs, we can combine the daily logs into a weekly (or bi-weekly) summary that explains why we’re working on this feature instead of that feature.

27 Likes