My First UE4 Project!

Hey. Watching Tower Unite as it’s grown has given me an interest into UE4, and I decided to start working on a entry project into the engine. It’s a space invaders clone, but with some added stuff. I want it to have a sort of story in the future, as well as a boss system, salvaging stronger ships, and a bunch more to make the gameplay a bit more interesting.
I made a document that lists out some general ideas and plans for the project, as well as a run-down on the dialog.
Here’s a video of what I have done so far (will update with the most recent video):

(note: enemies counter was broken because I’ve been using a static value of 18 to test)
I made a playlist where I’ll put all the development videos at:

(the videos themselves are unlisted so they don’t make my channel page so messy)
I’ve considered changing the background to something less distracting, as it’s been brought up that it can be really difficult to focus on the sprites with it in the background changing colors and everything, so I’ll probably end up doing something about that.

What do you think? I’d love feedback on how it looks so far, stuff I can change, etc.

15 Likes

That’s Really Neat!

1 Like

Nice job!

Wicked

Very cool!

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I started to work on the intro dialog scene today, and although it needs a lot of work, what do you think of this sort of structure? I was thinking you’d be put into an introductory scene, and once you get to the part of the invader ships attacking it puts you into the game and allows you to play. Maybe a few scenes in the future, but sparingly. The intro scene and ending will be the most dialog.

(I’ll be working on cleaning things up and making it look a lot less static in a bit)
4 Likes

I liked that rocket flying off and the camera following it. Nicely done!

That’s cool, nicely done. I suppose if you’re looking for a better backdrop, consider a starry sky with either a planet or moon around the player’s area.

Got the enemy encounter scene sorta done, but I have a few things i want to improve.
Also, I set up a starry background type thing but I need to reduce the intensity of the flickering and add a planet (as you said) to the backdrop to make it look a bit more interesting.
4 Likes