Moveable hats and cosmetics!

GMTower had hat offset editor only for admins - and for good reason. The hat offsets in GMTower had to be synced dynamically each time by the editor. Once the offsets were set, then the offsets were stored in a hard copy so it didn’t need to network them again.

The issue here is networking. Having the ability to move hats around means more networking - because you gotta network where the hats are now. It’s totally possible, don’t get me wrong, but I think this is something we need to tackle after we upgrade to 4.19 and have better networking controls on the dedicated server.

Because I’m still up, I figure I should explain our bottleneck currently with networking in the dedicated servers.

Currently, because of 4.18 and also limitations of Unreal, we are facing these issues:

• Single core server. As it stands, dedicated servers in Unreal support only one core. This means all the work load of calculating player physics, physics, net messages/packets, and any game code are all on the same core. That sucks.

• Due to a bug in Unreal 4.18, each player sends way too many net updates per second, clogging the server. 4.19 adds a fix for this and allows us to adjust values.

• Too many moving objects that the server has to calculate in one area (collision system will just fail and you’ll fall through the floor). This issue came up in Halloween update. We had to make several changes to many aspects in order to resolve this issue, but it can still crop up.

• We are currently using lower powered servers. It could help to move to more powerful servers but it’s much more costly. Gonna see if 4.19 will help first.

Kinda a tanget but figured some might find it interesting.

13 Likes