Moveable hats and cosmetics!

I would love to see in the near future the ability for people to move the hats cigars ect… around the head of the player model, this will help prevent hats and other cosmetics from clipping into the model itself and make for some better looking models.

This is super useful and I’m honestly shocked we haven’t gotten offsets yet. IIRC Gmod Tower had this feature and TU still doesnt- it just makes sense, especially for workshop models.

5 Likes

Obviously I’d want restrictions so someone can’t have a cigar floating 50 meters away, but with a box restriction in place I’d love to see this, even with the system that’s already in place with moving props using the different axis arrows.

3 Likes

GMTower had hat offset editor only for admins - and for good reason. The hat offsets in GMTower had to be synced dynamically each time by the editor. Once the offsets were set, then the offsets were stored in a hard copy so it didn’t need to network them again.

The issue here is networking. Having the ability to move hats around means more networking - because you gotta network where the hats are now. It’s totally possible, don’t get me wrong, but I think this is something we need to tackle after we upgrade to 4.19 and have better networking controls on the dedicated server.

Because I’m still up, I figure I should explain our bottleneck currently with networking in the dedicated servers.

Currently, because of 4.18 and also limitations of Unreal, we are facing these issues:

• Single core server. As it stands, dedicated servers in Unreal support only one core. This means all the work load of calculating player physics, physics, net messages/packets, and any game code are all on the same core. That sucks.

• Due to a bug in Unreal 4.18, each player sends way too many net updates per second, clogging the server. 4.19 adds a fix for this and allows us to adjust values.

• Too many moving objects that the server has to calculate in one area (collision system will just fail and you’ll fall through the floor). This issue came up in Halloween update. We had to make several changes to many aspects in order to resolve this issue, but it can still crop up.

• We are currently using lower powered servers. It could help to move to more powerful servers but it’s much more costly. Gonna see if 4.19 will help first.

Kinda a tanget but figured some might find it interesting.

13 Likes

Lmao who the hell thought that was acceptable, holy shit

6 Likes

So, workshop models won’t have hats/glasses/face items offsets anymore and everything will be chosen and saved by the player instead?

I don’t really understand this, help me.

Single core server. As it stands, dedicated servers in Unreal support only one core. This means all the work load of calculating player physics, physics, net messages/packets, and any game code are all on the same core. That sucks.

So is this why I really stutter about when I’m on a server that’s more full? Especially when flying about with crtl and space? It’s usually nowhere near as bad if i’m on a server that’s got only a few players on it.