Item Snapping

Card

https://trello.com/c/BRv6T2LL/525-item-snapping

Description

Allows items to be snapped to drag slots on specific items, most notably the building blocks. Feel free to suggest items that would benefit greatly from drag slots, preferably with a diagram or a sketch.

Features

• Aligning dragged item to hovered slot
  • Customizable snapping radius
  • Optimize management of slotting actors
  • Orienting dragged item using the drag slots as the placement origin
  • Customizable rotation angle increment
  • Visualizer for drag slots on selected item

Items to implement drag slots on

• Building blocks (walls, panels, doorframes)
  • Sectional couches
  • Crate
  • Canvases

Attachments

12 Likes
  • Card's description was updated.
  • A new checklist named "Checklist" has been added to the card.
7 Likes
  • "Aligning dragged item to hovered slot" has been checked off on the "Checklist" checklist.
7 Likes
  • Card’s description was updated.
  • A new checklist named “Items to implement drag slots on” has been added to the card.
  • “Building blocks (walls, panels, doorframes)” has been checked off on the “Items to implement drag slots on” checklist.
5 Likes
  • An attachment named “Window snapping into frame” has been added to the card.
7 Likes
  • An attachment named “afbeelding.png” has been added to the card.
4 Likes
5 Likes
  • Card was renamed from “Item snapping” to “Item Snapping”.
4 Likes
  • “Crate” has been checked off on the “Items to implement drag slots on” checklist.
4 Likes
  • “Canvases” has been checked off on the “Items to implement drag slots on” checklist.
5 Likes
  • An attachment named “Snapping sectional couches together” has been added to the card.
4 Likes
  • “Sectional couches” has been checked off on the “Items to implement drag slots on” checklist.
4 Likes

Will there be multi-selection?

Multi selection for items is planned but I dont think it’s coming with item snapping

3 Likes
  • “Customizable snapping radius” has been checked off on the “Checklist” checklist.
4 Likes
  • “Customizable rotation angle increment” has been checked off on the “Checklist” checklist.
3 Likes

Not actually related to item snapping, but it has been a pet peeve of mine that you were restricted to 15° rotation increments when rotating items with the scroll wheel. Decided to expose this to the player while I was implementing drag slots.

5 Likes

Does this also fix the bug where sometimes the rotation increments would get really small for some reason?

1 Like

That is actually a feature that is probably not explained anywhere (and I discovered it just now as well). Holding the alt key changes the rotation increment to 1°, which I think is still pretty useful for quick and dirty-yet-precise rotation with the scroll wheel.

3 Likes

Oh, weird, I’ve always just accidentally turned it on sometimes and thought it was a bug.

2 Likes