GMT code controversy

I don’t know if this is the right assumption to make but are people hating on pixeltail due to them releasing the old GMT code? That’s the way it looks. Honestly, if this is the case, what’s the problem with you guys? If they are releasing the code, that’s a good thing. People have been wanting this since 2016. Honestly, if you are worried about GMT’s memory being ruined, play Tower Unite. If people clone GMT, it’s going to go south. Even in its current state, Tower Unite is way better than GMT. GMT was at its limit and it is outdated. It can’t be updated because it’s at its limit

I don’t want any hate and I really don’t want to start a discussion about how Pixeltail is handling things wrong because you guys have no clue what it’s like trying to appeal to everyone if we all have different opinions. Like I said before, I might be wrong

6 Likes

As far as I’m aware all of the initial controversy surrounding GMT:R and Open Source is over already. I do agree that it was a lot of needless drama and fear, but I think the devs have arrived at a reasonable middle ground by holding off on Open Source till after Tower is out of early access.

1 Like

Ok, good. Yeah, I agree. Tower Unite is meant to have everything GMT had and much, much more so to have GMT at that point is pretty much useless anyway. I think people will be a little disappointed when they get the code because of how much was lacking that TU has. It’s a great middle-ground they have to appease pretty much everyone and all of the drama was definitely needless. You’re right

3 Likes

Yeah personally I think I’ll check out GMT for a few features I miss like condo parties, but Tower is definitely superior in most ways. If anything I’m curious how long people will keep playing Reunion just for pure nostalgia :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Oh yeah, condo parties. Well, suite parties. I never got to see lobby 1 as a whole so to have the lobby 1 plate in TU seemed a bit cheated. Can’t wait to check it out. I have seen it in YT videos (Yogscast and stuff) and in my resort condo but never as a player on the server :slight_smile:

i dont think as of now you can compare TU and GMT
just because they work so different in how they work rn

i think people want the way that GMT worked (where the lobby was the main hub {no menu} and people were put together and put in a situation where they were likely to talk and didn’t have quick options to get to places making them see people more along the way to places, it felt like more of a big connected group of friends that would say hi while doing stuff and everything feel less empty and disconnected)
also there was drama around GMT:R being TU owners only, which people who would want to play GMT again but not have TU would be forced out of it, (if i remember correctly its going to be open everyone)
plus people dont like the idea of the code going public since with how GMT worked with its own SQL it would mean on each GMT server that goes up it would be new save each time which would ruin the fun
also people would be split into the multiple servers making it feel less of a community.

saying TU is way better that GMT and you should play TU if you want to have the GMT memories, isn’t a good way of saying thing since i feel atm GMT and TU play really different while looking similar, people prefer the way GMT played and dont like the way TU plays and it doesn’t feel right to them.
Although from what i heard TU was planned to play as close as possible to GMT did in the future and wants to be made more like GMT played. (although some people are against that and want TU to stay as it is, which causes more drama)

until TUs play style is up to gmt’s play style (aka, once TU devs get that load times they been wanting and such so they can make it work like GMT but faster and better) i dont think a comparison can be made, maybe once it gets back towards how GMT played the drama will go away and people will be inclined to leave GMT and play TU. (thats probably why GMT:R is going to be a thing, since they realised some people prefer the way GMT played and find it more fun that TU even if TU has more content)

4 Likes

^ Just a note, I pretty much agree with the above. My main thing is: Tower Unite is unfinished, it’s literally in beta. Comparing it to a more “finished” and polished product like GMT is impossible. To many, GMT will always rightfully be more fun.

I’ve spent too long looking into and thinking about all the various drama, but in the end, as much as I agree GMT has many things over TU, and TU still has a ways to go, most of the people complaining will literally never be happy, no matter what. They lost something important to them, and are determined to blame their unhappiness on MacDGuy no matter what happens. I won’t ever argue with them against GMT’s superiority (Or argue with them at all for that matter), but many of them are just overly cynical about everything.

6 Likes

I can see a lot of reasons why someone would want to play GMod Tower rather than Tower Unite, at least for now; TU doesn’t have PVP Battle or Source Karts yet, things like Lobby 1 and UCH are more nostalgic to people than TU’s Lobby 2 or LC, all of the modes play differently than how they do in TU (especially Virus and LC), etc.

TU’s almost definitely going to end up being the better game to play compared to GMT, but it isn’t yet (at least in my opinion). I think it’s great that GMT’s coming back, not only because a lot of people who used to play it in the past can play it again, but because the devs can see what everyone thinks was better in GMT than in TU and change it to make TU a better game.

6 Likes

That’s definitely one of the most important points here. While I do personally believe TU is better than GMT was, I do agree that some things felt better in GMT and I see how some people can genuinely prefer it to TU. I’m really excited to see all those awesome missing pieces slowly make their way over to Tower.

The one thing that I am not looking forward to is going back to Source Engine though :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s true. I hope TU does become like that but TBH there will be people complaining. I hope people don’t blame Pixeltail as appealing to people wanting different things is pretty much impossible and finding middle-ground can also be impossible. You can’t do it if there’s no room to have a middle-ground.

Nice profile picture BTW

1 Like

Oh yes. Not only does the game play differently but like Luke said, it felt much more different. Much more connected. A lot more laggier, ping wise. I do trust Pixeltail and their decisions (not unlocking parts of the condo, though. That can rot in hell) and the reunion not only serves a purpose of making TU better, but it is also a gift to the OG players and some of the curious new players :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Amen, brother

1 Like

After TU early access i will then full on go in looking and comparing the original plans of TU and GMT, since early access isn’t the full game and comparing a game that is still being built in to the intended plan, it isn’t a complete product, and i feel like we are more testers allowed to play but still bug testing and giving suggestions so we can help in the development process, rather than full on customers playing a product. (which we will be once TU is up to the plan and out of EA)
and i have gave ideas for a good middle ground, but i think the devs already have had multiple different plans to make it work to please as many people as possible, guess its just waiting to see what happens.

and thanks, i thought the picture was funny, glad you like it.

2 Likes

Exactly. TU in it’s current state still has work that needs to be done. GMT took several years to reach the point it’s at now, and TU was starting over from scratch. Comparing the two now is sort of moot since it’s not a fair comparison.
That said, you can still say you enjoy GMT more for now, but you can’t really argue whether or not it’s better until TU leaves Early Access.

2 Likes

A lot of people throw shit on TU saying GMT is better, but I suppose having only played TU and only pearticipating shortly in a couple unnofficial GMT revivals allows me to see where development for the game has gone.

Personally the way I see it, TU has already surpassed GMT in a variety of ways, from workshop content to new features to great visuals. Even if there are some things missing they will be filled in and improved over time. Currently I find it to be a bit unfair when people say GMT is better because I have not found that to be the case. Rather I look at it to say GMT is good in its own right, but Tower Unite has far excelled in its purpose as a successor so far and will continue to do so.

5 Likes

I just want to bring up the fact that GMT was laggy. Remember the waterslides? Whether you think it’s better or not, I think we can all agree that Tower Unite is better in that way

1 Like

6 Likes

TU definitely has a lot of room to improve with latency issues i.e. Virus

3 Likes

Oh of course. I never said it was perfect. I just said (or implied) that the lobby runs way better than GMT. You can see this in the waterslides

1 Like

Yeah. Just needed to know for sure and why people were hating on the reunion and the open source stuff