Global Chat is a real Issue

From what I understand, moderators will be hand-picked.

Iā€™m guessing theyā€™d still need to open an application so that all moderators actually want to do it.

yeah, what im guessing what it will be, is like active trusted members on TU and mods from gmod tower. so if normal players wanted to be a mod it would be hard for them to get, they need to show they are trustworthy and they know what they are doing.

Iā€™ll be interested in seeing how the developers will assess moderators. I have no desire of being one, but I worry that if other games in recent memory are anything to go by, weā€™ll have an authority of chat moderators who are driven by personal bias and interests.

People who are heavily into the furry fandom for example will be given this tiny bit of power and suddenly, the basis for what is and what isnā€™t permissible will rest on the back of an overtly fragile person who defends their personal interests zealously. Before you know it the chat is devoid of anything that can be construed as being remotely critical or insulting towards anyone. Context will no longer matter, but everything will be justified by saying ā€œread the guidelinesā€, which are of course designed as a legal net to give moderators the power to justify anything and everything they do, no matter how much it harms the social aspect of the game, no matter how much of an ultimately negative impact they have. ā€œRead the rules.ā€

I fear that this game will follow in the footsteps of games like Warframe, VRChat, and Rainbow Six Siege. All to appease a sensitive minority who canā€™t take the banter at the expense of everyone else who was enjoying having an open platform to communicate with other people.

I like all of the developers that I have had the chance to personally speak to, but If those games have demonstrated anything itā€™s that you cannot put your faith in random moderators to act fairly and put their personal biases away from their role. Hereā€™s to hoping that Tower Unite will be an exception, but Iā€™m not optimistic.

2 Likes

You make community mods sound like itā€™d inevitably devolve into a worst-case scenario, but you do bring up great points. Moderators have power, and any power can be abused. I donā€™t doubt that the given scenario is possible, but if done carefully I could easily see it working far better than you imply.

If community moderators were to be introduced, theyā€™d definitely need to be moderated by more official, non-community admins. That is, every mod action a community mod would take should be recorded with text or, better yet, video evidence. If the actions a community mod is taking are disproportionate to the actual infractions performed, then admins can take action on the community mod. It doesnā€™t fix any initial injustices, but it would ensure that community mods need to be conscious and careful about using their role.

Thatā€™s not to say that community moderators will happen at all, of course. Iā€™m impartial to the idea, but the issue of moderation needs to be addressed. People feel free to say anything they wish (be it fine or blatantly inappropriate) simply because there doesnā€™t appear to be an admin/mod presence. Of course, Pixeltail canā€™t keep an eye on global chat 24/7; the more dev time is put to moderation, the less itā€™s being used to improve the game, after all, but a game like TU can be made or broken by its community alone.

If anything is for certain, this is something that must be dealt with carefully.

1 Like

Weā€™ve made our statement about what we are going to do. Weā€™ve taken everything into consideration and outlined what the rules will become.

Our game is primarily about having fun with others and our chat rules will serve that goal.

Weā€™ll have more information about non-developer moderators when we are ready.

For now, Iā€™m going to close this topic.

1 Like