Gameworld Ports needs an Improvement

I’d love to have random match making also if possible. I sometimes don’t know what to play and being able to just queue into a random game session would be great

2 Likes

The Diorama system is definitely hard to hold onto without it taking up a bunch of space, im aware the current GW ports are very much oversized, but making them smaller would also be a challenge. Im considering looking into some visual trickery we may able to do to keep the diorama idea still around, but we’ll see.

3 Likes

Is it possible to do a system in unreal like the Doors Addon for Gmod, where it can display a sort of 3D window of another area/object? Something like how the teleporters work for instance with the inner swirling texture?

Like this:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/434949660530247281/2D0AA8BB7039D59BE4811CF9809CA2CDAE9B762C/

Idk why that wont embed…

1 Like

Completely making this up off the top of my head but I suppose a separate join board could be placed in the center of the GW Port building which you’d simply join, wait for say, 6 people. And then it would randomly pick a Gameworld to play. No idea the logistical side of this, but its something we could consider

6 Likes

Damn, that addon for GMod was amazing.

Also poor Lifeless, answering the call of the people. Hats off to you.

1 Like

That was the general idea, however in Unreal things like this are surprisingly expensive to render. Its something I havent deeply looked into and will need to experiment with, might be able to come up with a solution.

3 Likes

Personally I don’t really like the Diorama besides the big globe, I would happily trade it for a more traditional Game World ports in the lobby

I’m glad this is being brought into consideration.

If I’m being honest, I wouldn’t miss it if the gameworld ports were just up and removed. :man_shrugging:

Maybe the area can be repurposed. I’d hate to see the work put into it go to waste, from the level geometry to the scripting. Here’s hoping we can see something good come of the gameworld ports.

2 Likes

I really like the thought of it being circular, but I gotta gripe about a certain tendency for keeping old design elements with new coats of paint.

I HATE the entrance/exit being in the center, especially in a scenario where it would be smaller and attached to the lobby. In functional terms, I would want good paths and line-of-sights to each game port from each other. The current one’s middle area is a chaotic wall composed of a bunch of Cool Bullshit™

At least, that’s how I feel.

2 Likes

lately i have given out a few ideas about the game ports, less about how it looks and is to walk around in
and more about how to use it

so basically i think removing the que system and replacing it with a system that finds the most recent game and throws you in it would be better

this is my thinking of why a quick join feature is more ideal and would work better,
although I it can be fun to do other stuff while waiting around for a game to start in the que process, i feel most people go to the gameports to try to get into a game quick so the quick join would probably be better,
although harder to probably make i think it will turn out 100x better to do it this way.

now lets say for the gameports, when you press e it puts you in the que…
instead how about it brings up a little menu on screen like this (but better, since im really bad at making things look nice)

it gives you everything that is in the menu and more, but instead you are in the plaza so you dont need to go out the plaza just to join a game, instead you can be sent into a game quick from here.

this can also be worked into the tab menu if the tab menu had a game tab

then of the normal game ports screens will just open the menu (and hopefully be in the lobby)
there it is beautiful isnt it

so 1 last recap / TL:DR

-Remove Queing in the gameports
-instead of queing add quick join to send you in the most recent game server created (aka one with the least amount of complete rounds and such) of the respective gameworld, or create a new game (saves time makes tons faster to play)
-change the little port screen to open the menu i made above
-put the ports into the plaza so it saves more time using them

2 Likes

I like your direction, but I think there’s value in a queue system in some form.

My points would be:

• Waiting in a queue isn’t bad, and can actually be nice, when you’re free to do whatever else in the meantime (Plaza games, condo decorating, etc.). This is something they plan to implement.

• I think there should be priority on games that have plenty of players, and start from the very beginning (Not halfway through the game), so I’d be fine waiting a little bit for a full game that starts fresh

Though I think that this could have some customization, for example you could check a box as to whether you want a game with lots of players, if you’re okay with joining one mid-way, etc. This could also change automatically depending on how many people are playing a the time (It’s worth noting this seems like a nightmare to code, so that’s an element as well).

1 Like

Having one of those where you vote for the gamemode would be pretty cool aswell.

I feel like most people would just play the gameworld they want instead of going to a random port and voting for the one they want though

1 Like

I think it would be awesome to make it for the current game ports. I really miss the detailed dioramas

Jesus McFucking Christ Nuggets what is it with people and necroing posts.

It’s a valid opinion yes and thank you, but good lord people check your dates…

There’s lots of details in the current dioramas. What details are you wanting more of?

<_< where’d you come from

there’s nothing wrong with bumping an old thread as long as it’s not spam, I don’t get why you get so worked up over this

2 Likes

The big old ones. With skybox-ish dome around, it felt like real gates to the gameworlds and thus I loved them.
You could probably recreate the same feeling with the new game ports by putting those big scaled dioramas into portals (the real ones like on the screenshot above, or at least some fake skybox/cubemap with box projection (like in tower’s windows)). Current ones are just mini decorations with way less details to them and visibly artificial painted background.

I actually wouldn’t mind the new decorations if the old game ports stayed on the dedicated server, but I’ve already stated opinion and reasoning on that here.

Oh no I’m not I’m just surprised since this is like the 4th post I’ve seen in the span of a week to be necroed