Enabling Transparency breaks lighting

Enabling transparency on my playermodel makes it unaffected by lighting, the textures are .tga files and use alpha, in Blender they are shown as working just fine, but in the editor and in game they are permanently dark no matter the lighting conditions. Is there a specific way the textures have to be setup within Blender to work here correctly?

As far as I know, this is just how it is at the moment. I can faintly recall something about transparency and lighting being tough to handle with Unreal but I cannot find a source on that. We just have to live with way it is right now as there is no way to have transparency be affected by lighting and the best alternative is cranking up the emission of the material.

3 Likes

Ah that sucks, I suppose the only solution is to decide, do you want full lighting or do you want transparent areas that glow in the dark? It’s all about what you’re willing to sacrifice for it.

I for one find that making a few dark areas go transparent isn’t worth as much as keeping them with full lighting, there isn’t that much that actually has transparency so it isn’t too serious to miss out.

We can only hope that Tower updates to handle both lighting and transparency.

1 Like