Dyslexia

I suffer from mild dyslexia, while also having double jointed pinkies and joint issues in general. Now I didn’t know where to post this, so here it is.

I love playing typing derby, but at this point in time I have a playtime of 01:38:37 and 2,960 words typed, not counting time before the achievement update. I also have never fully finished a game ever, before or after the updates. The reason I’m posting this is because I can play any game mode and do decent to good, except typing derby. I’m not going to say I’m medically incapable cause I’m still trying, but man does it suck that I feel I will never get those achievements.

Does any one have any pointers to help me out, cause other wise I’ll probably sink another 10 hours into it with never completeling a game.

Ironically as I was typing this I finished my first game ever with 0 seconds on the clock.

9 Likes

IIRC, there are open source fonts specially designed for dyslexic users; OpenDyslexic comes to mind. Could always be added as an accessibility option.

5 Likes

I can’t be of much help, but I can just state what you probably already know. Practice makes perfect, though I admit that I don’t know just how much dyslexia affects this. Perhaps the only thing I could suggest that you might not already know is to try to keep calm as much as possible. Get into a rhythm, if you can. The more stressed and overwhelmed you become, the more likely you’ll be to make mistakes; typing derby wants its players to type as fast as possible with a time limit, so even if there’s no way to lose it can still be a stressful trial.

Good luck!

1 Like

It’s like I get all the small words right and the big words I mistype a couple of times and hit words that look the same, those mess me up too. It’s like needing to look at the word longer thana normal person.

As I don’t have dyslexia, I don’t really know what it’s like, but is it singular words that trip you up or are longer sentences easier because you can kinda use context clues to figure out the tougher words? At least when I play Typing Derby, I like to read ahead of where I’m actually typing because that gives me more time to process the sentences and type things up as a sequence rather than one word at a time. I don’t know if it’ll work for you but hopefully it helps!

I can’t imagine Typing Derby being the greatest with dyslexia, but you deserve major props for at least trying! Good luck dude :smiley:

It’s kinda super complicated to explain cause some times it’s singular words and sometimes it’s whole sentences. And sometimes it’s mostly fine, plus reading ahead is what I have to do while trying to fully remember what I saw while hoping my hands press the keys the way it should be. The only two times I even finished were due to me remembering the majority of those paragraphs after nearly two days of continuous play, but I still got like 42 wpm and like 94 seconds on the clock for those.