Duplicated Questions and Different Answers

While importing current 3,559 verified questions with checking duplicated questions, I found two duplicated questions and one of them has different correct_answer…

ID Question
616 What is the capital of Jamaica?
826 What is the capital of Jamaica?
{ category: 'Geography',
  type: 'multiple',
  difficulty: 'easy',
  question: 'What is the capital of Jamaica?',
  correct_answer: 'Kingston',
  incorrect_answers: [ 'Rio de Janeiro', 'Dar es Salaam', 'Kano' ] }

{ category: 'Geography',
  difficulty: 'easy',
  question: 'What is the capital of Jamaica?',
  correct_answer: 'Kingston',
  incorrect_answers: [ 'San Juan', 'Port-au-Prince', 'Bridgetown' ] }
ID Question
4011 What is the make and model of the tour vehicles in “Jurassic Park”?
4012 What is the make and model of the tour vehicles in “Jurassic Park”?
{ category: 'Entertainment: Books',
  difficulty: 'medium',
  question:
   'What is the make and model of the tour vehicles in "Jurassic Park"?',
  correct_answer: '1992 Toyota Land Cruiser',
  incorrect_answers:
   [ '1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ Sahar',
     '1992 Ford Explorer XLT',
     'Mercedes M-Class' ] }

{ category: 'Entertainment: Film',
  difficulty: 'medium',
  question:
   'What is the make and model of the tour vehicles in "Jurassic Park"?',
  correct_answer: '1992 Ford Explorer XLT',
  incorrect_answers:
   [ '1992 Toyota Land Cruiser',
     '1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ Sahar',
     'Mercedes M-Class' ] }

I think correct answer might be ‘1992 Toyota Land Cruiser’. So, would you please remove duplicated questions and make current total verified questions 3,557?

I’ve removed the duplicate for the Jamaica questions.

For the first Jurassic Park question, it’s referring to the books so it’s in the Books category, while the second question is in the Movies category as it pertains to the movie.

1 Like

Wow, it’s very quick. Thank you for fixing the issue. If you don’t mind, would you please update the same Jurassic Park questions like

• What is the make and model of the tour vehicles in “Jurassic Park” Book?
  • What is the make and model of the tour vehicles in “Jurassic Park” Movie?
1 Like

I don’t see the need personally, as the category makes it clear what “Jurassic Park” is being referred to.

I actually agree with snowynn on this one. The category is pretty tucked away in trivia, and usually isn’t important to answering the question. I wouldn’t rely on users knowing to check the category for this one particular pair of questions. That’s specifically for TU’s trivia as well; you can’t be certain that other programs using this database will display the category at all. In that use case, it’s impossible to tell the difference between the questions at all, since the options are identical between them.

2 Likes

Categories can be important to gather context on a question in trivia. For these two questions, the context clue to determine what the correct answer is the category, which in Tower Unite (and really any other trivia game worth it’s salt) is usually above or close to the question to give context.

For instance, if you had a question about Iron Man, these questions could be different depending on if it’s in a Comic, or a TV Show, or in the Marvel movies, so while the question would need to include information about which Comic Book issue, or TV Show episode, the category would be that extra bit of information which can also provide context.

I would make the argument that a trivia game that doesn’t display the category for the user isn’t that great of a trivia game, for the reasons given above.

I’d like to avoid adding duplicate information when it comes to these questions. If a question about something from the Harry Potter books is in the Books category, it’s redundant to include the phrase “harry potter books” in the question, as it’s already in the Books category. A question about Harry Potter in the Books category makes it clear we’re talking about the books, not the movies, as if it was a movie question, it would be in the movies category.

However, after writing this post, I’ve gone through and updated the questions, as they didn’t conform to some of our newer standards (including the release year of the book / movie next to the name) and one of the answers actually had the wrong year for the vehicle.

2 Likes

Thank you for distinguishing questions by adding different years :slight_smile:

thJ29TZB6Y

1 Like