Daily Dev Log for November 25th, 2017

##Daily Dev Log for November 25th, 2017

Hey everyone! Here’s what everyone on the team has been working on over the course of today, November 25th, 2017.

Weekend

Most of the staff at PixelTail Games work Monday - Friday, except for a select few, hence the shortage of names on this Development Log.

@macdguy created a mathematical bobber throwing animation for Fishing to ensure the bobber will always land where the player wants it to (before this was Physics based, but eliminating it makes it 100% deterministic) for Fishing. He went through every appearance icon and increased their size from 64px to 128px to improve graphical fidelity on the Minigolf Customize UI and the Appearence Editor. He also went through every sound and fix the sound class so that their volume would properly adjust (should fix seagulls and other loud sounds ignoring the volume settings). All in all there were 51 sounds that were fixed.

He spent a large portion of the day working on fixing regressions that appeared during the upgrade to Unreal Engine 4.18.

• Fixed the Minigolf aimer being Invisible.
  • Fixed the Waterhole Water.
  • Fixed the Customize UI Color Slider being broken (and updating its appearance).
  • Fixed the Map UI icons clipping through the icons above them.
  • Fixed the glass texture being broken on the Suite condo.
  • Fixed the Planet Panic UFO glass texture.
  • Fixed the broken materials on the House condo windows.
  • Fixed sound settings having missing titles for certain settings.
  • Fixed error messages with ApplySavedSettings.
  • Fixed warning messages due to the new TowerGameplaySettings system.
  • Fixed FOV setting not saving when changing levels.
  • Fixed FOV setting saving every single frame when the user is dragging the slider.
  • Fixed mouse sensitivity and mouse invert settings not saving along with the UI not updating when first created.
  • Fixed key prompts not displaying at all, regardless of user settings.
  • Improved key prompt settings lookups (no calls per frame).
  • Improved HUD settings lookups (no calls per frame).
  • Fixed default values for settings.
  • Fixed key bind UI not showing up in Standalone build.
  • Fixed FPS Counter not appearing when enabled on the Settings Menu.
  • Fixed Little Crusaders HUD dividing by zero.
  • Fixed character hair model looking horrible due to bad Fresnel values.
  • Fixed weather settings doing absolutely nothing.

@Johanna continued decorating the Plaza for the upcoming Winter Events.

@Caboose700 went through every Minigolf map with 300ms packet lag and 40ish FPS average to identify map issues that appear at low framerates and bad pings, and to find any regressions that may have occurred during the Unreal Engine 4.18 upgrade. This was done to simulate a real world Minigolf environment in Tower Unite with network lag and lower end hardware simulated. All gameplay was recorded for internal viewing. The only map that wasn’t tested was Emission due to there being a crash on startup of that particular map.

That’s what everyone at PixelTail Games has been working on today! See you all tomorrow!

[0.3.8.1] Little Crusaders footsteps unmuteable

I can’t find anything on Fresnel Values, what are they? Is that a mathematical table of constants?

Warning: Might blow the mind of the reader.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/HowTo/Fresnel/
I’m assuming it means bad Fresnel values for the hair material, which would refer to rim lighting, as can be seen from this image in the article linked:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/images/Engine/Rendering/Materials/HowTo/Fresnel/FN_Fresnel_Sample.jpg

I would imagine having the value too high on the fresnel strength would make things look cartoonish and fake, while having it too low would make things look dull. Additionally, having too much or too little rim lighting could make things look bad as well.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/images/Engine/Rendering/Materials/HowTo/Fresnel/FN_Different_Fresnel_Exp_Values.jpg

“Don’t drink the water. They put something in it… to make you forget. I don’t even remember how I got here” - Some guy

Wait, you guys made the Little Crusaders hud divide by zero when you first made it?
You traitor YOU DOOMED US ALL!

Nice to see you finally got around to fixing my weather dominator

See, I went to the wikipedia but it assumed that I was a mathematician and I could know what all these words mean.

This does seem to be the case I think. Thanks for clearing that up!

Long story short it’s when the light moves from one thing like say the air into another thing like water, then based on the properties of the water some of the light is reflected while another part of it just passes through.
One of the things that determine this is what the angle of the light is when it enters the previously mentioned object, which is how the fresnel effect works in the unreal engine.
Looks like this:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/eLBUZF7MaDE/hqdefault.jpg

wait “absolutely nothing” spin to win reference ey

Waiting for fishing :new_moon_with_face:

:new_moon_with_face:

One thumbs up for every fix mac did

t-thats alot… :new_moon_with_face::new_moon_with_face::new_moon_with_face::new_moon_with_face::new_moon_with_face::new_moon_with_face:

This might help you guys http://clipartmonk.com/office-cliparts