Computer Throttling After Return to TU. Any ideas (specs in description)?

Is TU optimized for the 1080+ series graphics cards (I’m currently running a RTX 2070 in mine)? It’s a problem that Overwatch has had for about 2 years, apparently, with higher-end graphics cards. :confused: I’m worried TU is having the same problem, now (I don’t remember it ever having this issue before). :c

It gets up to 88C and throttles the processor to try to cool it off (as soon as I close the app, it cools right back down)- and this is just in the main lobby (as in, the one you come into before you pick your server/game; not even an area that has extra canvases or textures). TU and OW are the only ones of the 200+ games I have on my PC, including my VR games, that does this. I have no idea why TU would be so heavy on it. My poor little toaster is sad (it’s a beastly little thing, so this really doesn’t make sense):

Component Details:
CPU (Processor) AMD Ryzen 1600X 3.4GHz 6 Core AM4 Processor
CPU Cooler Xilence RGB Black Heatsink
Motherboard ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
System Memory ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage ADATA - Ultimate SU650 960 GB
2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card
Case NZXT H200 White Mini ITX Chassis
Power Supply Corsair - 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Chassis Fans Azza - HURRICANE RGB 47 CFM 120mm Fan (x3)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

By default, Tower Unite will use as much of the GPU as it can to render as many frames as it can, which will lead your GPU to work as hard as it can.

In the Graphics Settings however, there is the option to limit frames to 30, 60, 90, and 120 FPS. With this setting enabled, the GPU will only work hard enough to render the set number of frames, which will reduce the overall load and keep temps down.

5 Likes

Turning V-Sync on helps as well, it will auto limit the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor.

1 Like

I have that same card and I can confirm that capping the framerate will cool it down. They’ll work themselves to death on UE4 games if given the chance.

2 Likes

Well TU is a big boy now, it needs alot of resources.
All kidding aside the recent update seems to have increased the requirements to be able to run the game properly, still based on your specs you should still be well within the boundary.

Im not sure if TU is optimized for the 1080+ series, but im running it pretty well with an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 with everything on max, so it probably is and your graphics card is more than capable of handling it.

As for your CPU running on 88°C

The temperature sensor in the AMD Ryzen series was made to add a temperature offset of 20-30°C to the temperature value it sends to the motherboard.

This was seemingly done with the idea that the motherboard would make the fans work harder in order to cool the cpu down even further to allow better performance.

Although it seems they forgot to make it so that the motherboard would actually account for this temperature increase and speed the fans up, instead it doesn’t seem to do so and leaves you with a throttled cpu.

As for fixing this problem there are some manufacturere like ASUS and MSI that have made bios firmware updates that makes the motherboard able to detect when there is a temperature offset.

I’d recommend checking the website of whoever made your motherboard and see if they have any software updates for it.

If that isn’t an option use CPU-Z to find out what your BIOS is called and try googling the latest update.
Also beware that doing the firmware update comes with the danger of bricking your motherboard if you mess up the update or interupt it, so you should do alot of reading on how to do the firmware update properly before you attempt it
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

If you wanna lower the amount of heat the cpu generates by running id recommend either installing Ryzen Master or downloading the latest amd chipset, and then use said programs to mess around with the cpu settings, just beware that doing this can cause issues
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master
https://www.amd.com/en/support

That outta fix the false temperature read out and give your CPU a bit more room to work with.

Still if you wanna lower the CPU workload a bit you could try lowering or disabling things such as texture quality, workshop models, canvas pictures and media video resolution (changing this isn’t needed if you don’t watch a lot of videos via the ingame media player)

1 Like

Thanks for the help, everyone! :grin:

I have a 1060 and I do get some whack temps without V-Sync or the FPS limiter on. Anyways, you’re welcome!

1 Like

Hiya’! Worked like a charm! Used both the V-sync and dropped frames down to about 144 (the hertz of my monitor).^-^ Thanks, y’all!^^

1 Like