Clarification and Reminder on Inappropriate Workshop Content in Tower Unite

The main menu is an important part of the game, as it is the first thing a new user will see when they boot up the game. Over time, we’ve prototyped menus to try to make the experience as easy as possible to navigate. It’s going to be something that evolves over time.

This has been talked about internally, but for a new user who knows nothing about the game, throwing the user into a condo without any explanation isn’t very helpful. We have tutorials planned, but again, as the game is still being developed, those are going to change over time and we’ve been waiting a bit while more systems are refined and finished.

That being said, there’s always also been the idea of a toggle allowing users to just determine where they want the game to boot, either to the Main Menu, or to a populated lobby, or their condo.

We have plans on a better matchmaking system, these things take time and aren’t as simple as making a chat system.

One of the biggest issues with Lobby 2 was that everything that was an activity was located the furthest away from the Tower, and new players were unaware of what was back there. Everyone on the team, including the main architects of Lobby 2 @Johanna and @Lifeless agree that Lobby 3 is infinitely better than Lobby 2, both in layout and performance, as they were able to integrate new techniques learned over time with the engine, and rework the layout to bring the activities to the forefront for new players to find.

I really take offense to this statement, and I wouldn’t normally comment on something like this, but it’s something I want to get off my chest.

Tower Unite was not and is not created by just one person. There’s an incredible team of people who work on this game, each with their unique skills and ideas, who come to work each day to improve it and make it the best game and experience that it can be. Every decision on where to go forward with the game, we talk about every Monday at our meetings, we make decisions collectively.

Development takes time, a bunch of time, and while some features take longer than we’d like them to, whether it’s running into engine bugs, or having to rewrite older legacy systems to make those features happen, or what have you, I have always been impressed with what this small team has been able to accomplish.

14 Likes