Change typing animation behaviour

So recently it was changed that the typing icon appears above your head only when you’re typing, and I was all up for that. However the player’s animation (putting your hand near your ear) now also plays only when you type, and that’s what I think was done in vain.
Not only it is convenient to be able to define when someone is just watching the chat or if they are typing, but it would also help to understand better when they are finished since the typing check takes a second and the symbol above their head appears when they are already done (so you might misinterpret that as them typing something else), so their animation dependent on opened chat could tell that they closed it.
We have two indicators so why use both for the same thing :р
I’d vote though for the chat icon dependent on typing because the playermodel animation doesn’t work always (like when sitting or doing something else) and typing is more important to know then opened chat

I would like to tack a suggestion to this. Opening chat pulls out a phone. Typing in chat will play a typing animation. Closing chat puts it away.

literally noone voted cause apparently it’s one of those minor things noone thinks about =)

i’m not sure… i didn’t vote for it because i’d rather it stay how it currently is

i watch chat a lot (missing a message so i have to go back to reread it, idling and keeping chat open to talk to people, etc) and i’m not sure if i’d like people knowing exactly when im reading chat

& how often does it come up where you really, REALLY need to see when someone is watching chat at that exact moment :<

3 Likes

agreed, one of the most awkward things for me was hitting my chat bind to see what someone said for a second, only to pop up the typing indicator that would instantly go away. id rather indicators exist only of they’re absolutely necessary

2 Likes

alright, thanks a lot for sharing your opinion!

well, seeing someone’s reading the chat can explain why they’re not moving or doing anything. Also better understanding when they’re not typing since the typing check has delay

well, seeing someone’s reading the chat can explain why they’re not moving or doing anything.

i’m still having a little trouble understnading why this is super important to know… it’s really really not that important at all to know exactly when people are typing or what they’re doing ingame … even in games like virus where it’s good to know what your team is doing , chances are if someone needs to type something they’re not going to keep the chat menu open and not type for more than a second :<

if they’re not typing/responding to anything/standing still it’s pretty easy to conclude that they’re probably just afk . . . i don’t see why we should have an indicator solely to show if someone has the chat open

Also better understanding when they’re not typing since the typing check has delay

i’m a little confused why you keep bringing the delay up… it’s only one second … . i don’t think you’re missing out on any extremely vital information because it looks like someone took a singular second longer to reply than you expected…

i don’t mean to sound mean at all i’m just having a lot of difficulty understanding how exactly this would benefit other players and actually be beneficial for people to know exactly when people are typing and what they’re specifically doing at all times

the thing is, it’s not something crucial for the gameplay. If it was, I doubt there would even have to be a suggestion at the first place.

It’s not super important. It’s just a nice detail which the game can use for its benefit. Since we have two ways of indicating your state relatively chatting, why not use them for slightly different things just to be more functional and handy? But on another hand if you don’t want others to see when you open the chat then that’s a different thing

It’s not super important but also to the point where it’s almost completely useless. You gain pretty much no benefit from knowing someone is looking at chat but not typing anything, it’s not something other players need to know you’re doing

I wrote above my reasoning that it could help you to understand what is a player up to when they’re just standing and not doing anything (while they might actually be reading your or others’ messages), but if you don’t feel that way then alright

again; why do we need to know what an afk player is doing

i get that it “helps us know” but why do we need to know

erm… I just see it like an indicator related to participating in chatting activity similarly to typing one?
typing one lets you know player is typing something, opened chat one let you know they’re reading the chat
so that made sense to me by the least