[ANNOUNCEMENT] GMT Server #2 has shut down

so sad i got lots of great things in tower but i wont have it anymore

1 Like

Uh, Server one will be up until April or something.
Also, all items and money earned in GMT will transfer over to Tower Unite.

2 Likes

An addendum to @macdguy’s post:

I have dealt first hand with GMod’s “wonderful limitations”.
Like the maximum entity count in the map, or the dropping of network messages and scripted entities on clients.

And let me say, we did everything in our power to patch the game up with “gum and paperclip” solutions in Lua.

I wrote a VBSP compiler specifically for GMTower that replaces an unused XBOX segment in the file format with an additional entity data lump.

This allowed us to get away with having a few more entities in the game.

But then we started hitting limits on brushes and static meshes.
And there wasn’t much we could do about that without having direct access to the source code to GMod.

And anyone who has dealt with software limitations knows how much it sucks to not be able to implement the features you want.

And let me tell you, we pushed right up against those limits until the bitter end.

Now we’re using the Unreal 4 engine:

• It has support for a nearly unlimited number of entities (actors).
  • We have full access to the source code to add any features we want.
  • And it looks BEAUTIFUL!

Working on Tower Unite is huge breath of fresh air for us developers.

I don’t know of a better way to say it.
Tower Unite is GMTower unleashed.

It’s the GMTower we wanted to make but weren’t able to before.

Yeah it costs money, but so did Garrysmod + CS:S + HL2 and any other prerequisites people needed in order to play.

And that money supports us, so we can continue to make cool games.
You guys want that right?

We’ve got a ton of cool ideas and we can’t wait to show them to the world!
Peace out!

EDIT:
Oops old thread bump, sry.

19 Likes

I don’t want GMT to crumble down, completely.
Please, my PC can’t even handle a single Unreal Engine game.

But… if you need to do this, then do it.

1 Like

They’re already doing it. It’s not going to change. Can’t run it? Buy a better PC. Can’t afford it? Get a job. I’m sorry to be blunt, but i’m getting sick of people asking the same old question when they probably already know the answer.

3 Likes

Try the performance tester before thinking you can’t run it. Also, my beast of a PC can’t even handle normal GMT (I get at most 15 FPS) and the same machine gets 120 FPS on Tower Unite.

2 Likes

To be fair, I think that’s because Source engine is poopy and doesn’t utilize even half of your computer’s potential.
After all, it does only use like 1 core of a CPU lol

2 Likes

It’s also because all of the code for GMT is in Lua which is pretty slow to start with. Also Source is terrible with outdoor environments.

2 Likes

Hah, sucks for you, I get possibly 20+ FPS or something like that.

Also, once I get the performance tester ready, I’ll edit this post (if possible) to show the results.

EDIT: With detail on 16 I get around 10+ FPS on Unreal.
:cold_sweat: Phew, atleast its not 5 FPS!

3 Likes

Same, honestly. I currently get crap FPS (as well as a weird glitchy sound problem) when running Unreal 4 games on my computer, but I’m hoping to do a custom-built rig soon enough, so it probably won’t be a problem upon release.

1 Like

Ive already built mine:

1 Like

I should try running TU on my new desktop and see if it’s any better than what I get now

1 Like

#2 is back up for now, if you were wondering. At least it was this morning.

3 Likes

Yeah, mac put it back online, since the TU dedicated server is still being updated.

1 Like

There’s a lot of people, so we’ll keep it up to meet demand.

4 Likes

The gamemode servers for #2 are up as well??

I really hope that they do well with tower unite because originally I just thought that it was going to be a large money grab because of the popularity of GMT but I think I was only saying that because I was sad to see GMT go but I feel like if they do it right by basically making an improved version of GMT then i shall be happy but there is a huge margin for error and if they over step there margin then it will go down like second life. So please don’t let fans of GMT down and just keep the community alive.

From a worried fan

3 Likes

Trust them, the devs knows what are the risks and knows what they are doing, they promised and Will make a solid and great game full of things they weren’t able to make in Garry’s mod tower

3 Likes

I dunno, but I see better buy this game than playing in Garry’s Mod (full of LUA errors) Also, Tower Unite isn’t so expensive, I guess ($15 / 15€). The game perfecly could cost more than that price for all the content it has, so… :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Considering how much of a success Gmod Tower has had in the past, i think there’s very little doubt that would happen. Look at it this way, look at what they have achieved in Gmod, now imagine what they could do if they weren’t limited by the engine that they have. Have faith in them. I know i do considering what they have already achieved.

1 Like