[ANNOUNCEMENT] GMT Server #2 has shut down

I love how you’re proclaiming that Tower Unite will fail, even though that’s a baseless claim.

I get you like GMT a lot, but you have to look at the facts: PixelTail Games is looking to become more than just big name in Garry’s Mod; they want to be an actual indie game company.
They won’t get ANYWHERE if they keep supporting GMT instead of focusing on Tower Unite (and future games).

Garry’s Mod is a hunk of garbage for anything large-scale, such as Tower Unite/GMT. They have literally reached the limit with that outdated Source engine.
With Unreal Engine 4, they can stretch their imagination as far as they want, without getting weighed down by an outdated platform like Source.
It will be MILES ahead of GMT in every respect, ranging from actually being playable at a decent latency and framerate, to having a shit load more content than the GMT community could even dream of.

Plus, there is incentive for old GMT players to move to Tower Unite, such as having the total value of your GMT account being converted and moved to Tower Unite. And of course, everyone’s favorite games will still be there, too, such as minigolf, virus, ballrace, etc.

So, yeah, there definitely is a ton of hope for Tower Unite, and you’re honestly just talking out of your ass.

I don’t quite understand, from what I’ve seen and played Tower Unite is GMT without the restrictions of the source engine and Garry’s Mod. In addition of course to actually let the devs get paid for the fantastic work instead of hoping for donations just to keep the servers running without losing money on their hobby and hopefully full-time job. The enjoyment and memories of GMT is exactly why Tower Unite is so great, I’m happy to give the devs whom I respect and cherish for their hard work all these years a chance to do what they, And I, love. I can understand missing Lobby 1 but the change from GMT to Tower Unite is improving upon their work.

The comparison to Second Life confuses me though. The only similarity I see is that they are both social based games.
I hope as time moves on you’ll enjoy the game just as I have and will.

I will admit: I definitely get where you’re coming from. You’re probably one of the people who still love GMT and play on it a lot. I don’t blame you. GMT is still somewhat fun. The problem is that the game/engine it’s currently based on is showing its age and can be a lot better, feature/performance-wise.

I’d sorta kinda like it if there was one GMT server that was still up after Tower Unite comes out, but the thing is that’d also have to include the gamemode servers, and I don’t know if the PixelTail guys can host that and the official Tower Unite servers at the same time. (I’m probably wrong on this, though.) Plus, there would still be a bunch of people playing on GMT and complaining about Tower Unite because they either think it isn’t needed or it’s overpriced. Honestly, if only the main lobby server were still up, I know I’d be fine with that, but I know a bunch of other GMT regulars would complain about it, since they had previously free content taken away from them. So honestly, taking down GMT in the end is the best choice. It’s better than having an inferior version of a better game/social experience that’s on a completely different game based on an engine from 2004.

And even in a decade or two when Tower Unite dies, the developers will make it open-source and available for anyone to edit after that, so the game’s legacy can live on with its dedicated fanbase at the time. It’s at least better than all the online-only games that were shut down and can’t be played on again. And even when the game is active, anyone can set up and host their own server. So if you don’t like how the official server looks? Play on a different server with a custom map and models! There’s lots of variety here!

I know you love GMod Tower and it’s sights and sounds, but honestly, it’s time to grow into a new engine. A new start with a standalone game that anyone can pick up and play, without having to download complicated Workshop addons just to play on the server. You probably won’t agree, but that’s my opinion on the matter.

(also, I thought GMod Tower was shutting down in March 2016, not Christmas? Am I right?)

I think it was stated that GMT will remain open for a week after Tower Unite is launched.

But

This is from the FAQ. I assume it’s still planned to happen this way no matter when TU launches.

Hi concerned user, also known as icebat_gaming47.

First off, I love GMTower. I wouldn’t have poured all the time and effort and love into it if I didn’t. I still play GMTower all the time. I play it with my wife, whom I first met on GMTower. I play it with her and her friends and my friends. I cannot put into words how much it means to me. GMTower lead me on the path to becoming a real game developer. It was the sole reason I went to college for video game development. It is the sole reason I am married, I am happy, and why I love making video games. It’s a HUGE part of my life. I say this, with the hope that you understand where I come from.

GMod is a dead end. I’ve been working on GMod stuff since GMod 9 and I gotta say, I’m tired of it. I’ve had to deal with it breaking, it working wonderfully, and all it’s wonderful limitations. But it’s not just the engine that makes it a dead end or the fact that it’s often broken. It’s the fact that it’s a mod of a game. See, when I put all my work into a mod of a game, I can’t really show that off to people. I can’t have people install it and have fun right away. I have to tell them that my game I’ve been working on is behind 40+ workshop addons (after explaining what workshop is), behind a game/mod (that you have to pay for to play it), and that 90% of the content is just Half-Life 2. Great, that leads me nowhere in life. This is actually really important to me.

My goal in life is to become a wonderful game developer. I can’t do that by behind a mod of a mod of a game.

So, why would we make Tower Unite? As I said previously, GMTower is everything to me. I literally cannot stop thinking about how to improve it. I walk around in shopping malls or hotels and obsess over what I should add to GMTower from them. And with Lobby 2, we did a lot. A lot more than I could have ever imagined. It got me thinking, why? Why would we keep creating this wonderful thing inside of GMod? The answer is simple and always true: the fans. Everyone loved what we did! We were used to GMod, we mastered it all, we figured out the solutions that weren’t always in front of us. Wait a second… we became game developers! But we were trapped. There were things we couldn’t do. I know we could actually do them, but we were constantly being held back by limitations.

We tried making a few games that weren’t related to GMTower as standalone games. There’s at least 5 or 6 games that just didn’t make it. Developers lost interest or the games just sucked. After the failure of one of the standalone games, I would instantly go back to GMTower development. It was my happy place. Soon, I was convinced, we had to take GMTower out of GMod and make it a standalone game. That was the game we had to make!

So we (the developers) mustered up all we could and flew down to meet each other in real life, for most the first time we’ve met in real life. We drafted up a plan. We drafted up a Kickstarter. We picked our brains, we yelled, we stressed over every little detail and word we were going to say. And then we filmed, we edited, we did all that we could to make a trailer for the Kickstarter for the game we’ve always been wanting to make. And… it didn’t get funded.

Disheartened, we stumbled about for a brief moment. Then we heard the fans again. They still wanted what we had. So we did it again. We learned from our mistakes and started another campaign on Indiegogo. Going in this time knowing our fans would back us once again, we were successful.

Whew, so where does that lead us, and what is the point of all of this? The point is: we wouldn’t have done all this for nothing. We are putting literally everything that we can into this project. From the beginning and till the end our goal is to make GMTower a proper game. That means GMTower in all its glory, nothing less, but definitely more.

Yes, GMTower currently works pretty seamlessly. And yes, the alpha of Tower Unite is not ready yet. But you will see it, you will love it, because if you won’t - I won’t. Everyone at PixelTail Games wants to make the game they love.

We aren’t going to take away the memories, we are just transforming them into new memories!

Look, that last line was cheesy, but I really do mean this. I will miss GMTower just as everyone else will. Maybe too much. But, Tower Unite isn’t better than GMTower. It IS GMTower just unshackled from every limitation.

Yours truly and honestly,
Macklin

PS: We’re not going to delete your message, ever.
PPS: It will close down April 2016 when Tower Unite launches. We’re gonna throw a huge party. I hope you’ll be there. I will be.

GMod Tower: A Detailed Response

That was most undoubtedly the most beautiful thing i’ve ever heard (read) a developer say. I cannot wait for Tower Unite even more knowing how much work and effort you put into the game :smiley:.

This is an incredible thought that you’ve shared with us and I hope more people than just the forum-goers will see this. I can’t wait to see all of you guys reading this thread at the gmt party too! :smiley:

so sad i got lots of great things in tower but i wont have it anymore

Uh, Server one will be up until April or something.
Also, all items and money earned in GMT will transfer over to Tower Unite.

An addendum to @macdguy’s post:

I have dealt first hand with GMod’s “wonderful limitations”.
Like the maximum entity count in the map, or the dropping of network messages and scripted entities on clients.

And let me say, we did everything in our power to patch the game up with “gum and paperclip” solutions in Lua.

I wrote a VBSP compiler specifically for GMTower that replaces an unused XBOX segment in the file format with an additional entity data lump.

This allowed us to get away with having a few more entities in the game.

But then we started hitting limits on brushes and static meshes.
And there wasn’t much we could do about that without having direct access to the source code to GMod.

And anyone who has dealt with software limitations knows how much it sucks to not be able to implement the features you want.

And let me tell you, we pushed right up against those limits until the bitter end.

Now we’re using the Unreal 4 engine:

• It has support for a nearly unlimited number of entities (actors).
  • We have full access to the source code to add any features we want.
  • And it looks BEAUTIFUL!

Working on Tower Unite is huge breath of fresh air for us developers.

I don’t know of a better way to say it.
Tower Unite is GMTower unleashed.

It’s the GMTower we wanted to make but weren’t able to before.

Yeah it costs money, but so did Garrysmod + CS:S + HL2 and any other prerequisites people needed in order to play.

And that money supports us, so we can continue to make cool games.
You guys want that right?

We’ve got a ton of cool ideas and we can’t wait to show them to the world!
Peace out!

EDIT:
Oops old thread bump, sry.

I don’t want GMT to crumble down, completely.
Please, my PC can’t even handle a single Unreal Engine game.

But… if you need to do this, then do it.

They’re already doing it. It’s not going to change. Can’t run it? Buy a better PC. Can’t afford it? Get a job. I’m sorry to be blunt, but i’m getting sick of people asking the same old question when they probably already know the answer.

Try the performance tester before thinking you can’t run it. Also, my beast of a PC can’t even handle normal GMT (I get at most 15 FPS) and the same machine gets 120 FPS on Tower Unite.

To be fair, I think that’s because Source engine is poopy and doesn’t utilize even half of your computer’s potential.
After all, it does only use like 1 core of a CPU lol

It’s also because all of the code for GMT is in Lua which is pretty slow to start with. Also Source is terrible with outdoor environments.

Hah, sucks for you, I get possibly 20+ FPS or something like that.

Also, once I get the performance tester ready, I’ll edit this post (if possible) to show the results.

EDIT: With detail on 16 I get around 10+ FPS on Unreal.
:cold_sweat: Phew, atleast its not 5 FPS!

Same, honestly. I currently get crap FPS (as well as a weird glitchy sound problem) when running Unreal 4 games on my computer, but I’m hoping to do a custom-built rig soon enough, so it probably won’t be a problem upon release.

Ive already built mine: