[56K Modem Warning] Tower Unite Discord Development Sneak Peek

I can’t wait to have my doomba pet

“Ow, My Circuitboard”

3 Likes

need this ingame
13 Likes

September 26th, 2019

Notice: All items below are provided without context. There is NO guarantee anything featured in them will be present in the final release. These items are shown from RAW development. Items are in chronological order, bottom being most recent. All images/media posted by developers are copyright PixelTail Games LLC.

23 Likes

Those animations lookin really nice!

1 Like

This can only get better if it gets updated regularly with community requests.

1 Like

September 28th, 2019

Notice: All items below are provided without context. There is NO guarantee anything featured in them will be present in the final release. These items are shown from RAW development. Items are in chronological order, bottom being most recent. All images/media posted by developers are copyright PixelTail Games LLC.

29 Likes

is the Gmod Tower logos allowed to be used as it is in TU or will it have to be changed?
im happy to see the old logos :slight_smile: just worried in case they cant be used in a separate standalone game from Gmod and that they will need to be changed, and are you planning on changing them to a TU version of the logo but keeping the same theme as each logo.

Personally, I’d kinda like to see a variant of the logos with the TU logo, for consistency more than anything else (Like the symbol on resort). There should be an option for the original GMT logo if possible, but I’d also like to have a TU version, it would be less weird for new players checking the options, and more consistent across the HUDs. No problem with it in its current state, just thought I’d pop in.

4 Likes

The GMod logo actually can’t be copyrighted because it’s just a letter in a square.

4 Likes

Yeah tell that to mcdonalds

5 Likes

this is really cool

I keep telling myself that can’t be right, but at the same time can’t find anything that would prove that it isn’t right.

Copyright law is a mess (And god knows I’m no lawyer), but the problem in this case is the use of the Garry’s Mod logo (I know everybody’s been having fun up to this point, but it is my job to ruin it).

The logo for Garry’s Mod is protected by Facepunch as in section 3 of their terms of service:

vii. Names/Trade Marks: [ you must not ] use Facepunch, the names of any Facepunch Services or other Facepunch names or logos or trademarks for any commercial purpose without our permission.

The logo for GMT is technically not the same as the logo for Garry’s Mod itself, but in my light research on cases about similar logos, this is a bit too similar to be defensible. It uses the same colour, often font, letter, and the full name literally includes the phrase “Garry’s Mod”.

The appendage of the word “tower” doesn’t help too much (Imagine opening a restaurant that had the McDonald’s logo, but with the word “restaurant” underneath it). Without express permission from Facepunch, it seems, to me, unlikely we’ll see these logos in-game (As with the resort condo).

In the end, almost anything can be copyrighted, even things like colours. I know I’m just picking at wording here, but the issue isn’t with GMT’s copyright (I doubt they have any considering the above part of Facepunch’s ToS), because PixelTail would own that if it actually existed.

TL;DR: GMT logos probably aren’t happening
(Though I would still like to see them if possible)

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

1 Like

We have copyrights on both GMod Tower and Tower Unite.

The logos for GMod Tower were created by me and I own the copyrights for all of them. They can be used within Tower Unite.

What you’re mainly discussing is trademark law, which there are different rules about. The logos aren’t being trademarked, but we could trademark them in the future, if we want (this is after discussion with my lawyer).

TOS do not apply to copyright law or trademark law. They are just guidelines set out by a company.

In the end, these are legal matters and it’s best we leave it up to lawyers.

Should also add: We don’t use anything in our game that we don’t own a license for.

26 Likes

Thanks for schooling me Mac :wink:

Didn’t think Mac would be schooling everyone on copyright

1 Like

October 19th, 2019

27 Likes

Zombie Massacre: Spook edition

3 Likes

Casper no

1 Like