[0.8.0.0] No Fish Received on Success

Hooked and successfully caught a rare fish but it didn’t do the spiel when you catch a fish, showing the fish in your hand and the information on what you caught. Checked and refreshed inventory. I know all my fish, there was nothing new or repeated in there.

Also: 3 other people experienced the same thing at the same time in the same server (SANFRAN 4), one said it was his third time happening.

were you connected to the backend
(if you see this symbol in the top right corner of the pause menu, it means you’re not connected)image

1 Like

Idk I didn’t check but I was chatting with people before and after so I don’t think I was disconnected

this could also be that occasional awful bug that for some reason gives no fish
in that case, this was reported before:

1 Like

I’ve had this happen as while and I was connected to the backend

once again, it could be this

Seems to be related to the lure.

2 Likes

I know. I was vouching for that thread.

My bad, I did search but didn’t find it.

Can’t be, I didn’t buy a lure until this morning.

1 Like

I’m also getting this. What bait I use doesn’t seem to matter. I can only catch small fish silhouettes, item fish, large fish and both rare types don’t give me any catch despite completing the minigame. Small fish work as expected. I tested this across my lure, mighty ball and curly grub. I am definitely connected to the backend and reloading the game didn’t appear to fix the issue.

Did some extra experimenting on this because I was curious. I tested every bait and I still couldn’t catch anything other than small fish. When I do try to catch something other than a small fish I get the fishing xp from the catch but not the item/fish. I tried to keep an eye on my inventory also and nothing other than the small fish I caught were showing up. I tried a few random things to fix it, restarting the game, changing server, pressing K, unequipping and reequipping the fishing rod, failing a catch and refreshing my inventory. Basically anything that might do anything with no luck.

Edit: Extra update, I restarted again and this time it worked for some reason! So there seems to be a temp fix doing that for other people who encounter this until it is fixed.

Happened again twice in a row, definitely connected to back end both time I have a wireframe item fish and was using curly grub bait, was fishing in the hill pond this time, was the beach pond before. idk if that helps narrow the issue cause…

Happening again with curly grub but I am noticing it isn’t using my bait up when it happens.

We are actively investigating the issues.

1 Like

Also to add, you don’t actually get the xp displayed for these catches.

I just posted about this on the Steam discussion board, how any catches that don’t give you anything on success don’t actually give you the xp displayed at the bottom of the screen. When you reboot the game (or the connection sorts itself out or whatever is going on), you’ll have lost total xp based on all the ‘failed’ catches you did.

I noticed my total fishing xp dropped about 20k after restarting the game.

Unfortunately the Steam API was down this morning.

Yep, I eventually looked at steamstat.us and saw the API popping in and out of error status. But in-game the indicator in the top right of the menu was showing ‘connected’ the whole time, so it was difficult to tell what was going on.

I just want to mention that this was also happening to me incessantly a couple days ago. Notably, this happened almost every single time I caught fish using maggots as bait.

This also happen to me with the mighty ball. It was a rare, so It was rather disappointing.