[0.16.6.1] Random bright "light" on maps

A random intensity graphical bug, seemingly some sort of light, occurs in Ball Race in the tunnel of the first level of Woodlands and at the start of the first level of Event Horizon.

Steps to Reproduce

This cannot be reproduced consistently and seems to be completely random intensity, ranging from just being a strange tint to being a blinding fully white screen.

What I expected to happen

No weird visual bug, see the first two screenshots below.

What happened

Played Ball Race.

Notes / Media

Hardware note

Both me and my friend have an RX 7900 XTX GPU, this may be an AMD driver issue? It seems kinda more like a shader issue. I have a GTX 970 that I used to use and I’m unsure if the bug happened then. I could potentially use that on my old PC but I’m unsure how useful that would be.

Graphics settings

I have my graphics settings all set to high, but I also tested changing my graphics settings and it seems that the bug persists. Something of note is that on the lowest graphics settings, it simply looked like a coloured light.

The map working fine by random luck

Showing the bug on my computer and on my friends, showing the randomness of visual bug

1 Like

Linking this here because it seems related-

2 Likes

Here’s some screenshots on Event Horizon

I just also got some screenshots of how it looks on lowest settings

Highest settings

Lowest settings

The last time I saw this happen was when a coworker was running the game on Wine in a Linux environment. Are you running the game on Linux?

It seems like that is an issue that is noticeable with other UE4 games on Linux platforms:

I have the same issue and I run the game on Windows. I also have an AMD GPU, which seems to be the common trait shared with people experiencing this.

2 Likes

I can’t speak for Wine exclusively, but at least when running in Proton I haven’t gotten this, only when running in Windows w/ an AMD GPU. Haven’t played much with an Nvidia GPU, but I was using an Intel Arc card for a bit and that didn’t have this either (only tested it in Windows though because too lazy to update kernel)…

Both me and my friend are on Windows. I’m using Windows 11, he’s using Windows 10. We’re both using the latest AMD drivers, but it’s been happening for the entirety of us having the GPUs.

I think I know what the issue is, are there any other maps this occurs in other than Event Horizon and Woodlands? I dont have an AMD card so I cant test but ill try and push something out by the next patch

I get it the worst in Mystic Grove, as did this person on Twitch (timestamped link), and Linuxydable in the other post got it on Treasure Cove–however the person on Twitch didn’t have it happen on Treasure Cove (timestamped link) when they played that later in the stream.

After the latest update this seems to be fixed for all Ball Race maps i experienced it on, but Ice Moon is still affected, although not as badly, I think. Before the update it’d always have bright rainbow artifacts but now sometimes it looks normal aside from dark metallic textures.

Thanks for the report, should be fixed in the next patch. If you have any other maps with the issue feel free to place it in this thread too

3 Likes