[0.16.6.0] Dark Voyage: Carts getting stuck in first time travel tunnel

@Madmijk is already aware of this issue, however I am also documenting it here as per Bug Report procedure and for completeness sake.

Dark Voyage carts will sometimes get stuck after the first time travel segment, and fail to traverse the main course of the ride

Steps to Reproduce

I’m not sure this is something the player has control over. It may be related to long server uptimes, as the last 2 times this occured, it was after 17:00 GMT, and it did not occur after server restart on Sunday morning which is when I last successfully played.

Carts can be noticed overlapping each other in the first time travel tunnel, made evident by Z-fighting on the score display.

What I expected to happen

The normal behavior.

What happened

The issue the bug caused.

Notes / Media

Other misc notes about the bug. Picture or videos would be much appreciated!

I think this happened less frequently when the carts were previously on a 60 second rotation.

4 Likes

My best bet as to the circumstances that allow this to happen is a server that has been running for an arbitrarily long time, which makes it a bit tedious to debug. I have added some safeguards in the code to prevent this from happening, and so far the ride seems to work when testing on a server that has been running for 16 hours.

The fix will ship with the next update. Please let me know if it still happens!

3 Likes

You da man!

1 Like

Was this shipped with 0.16.6.1? It still appears to be occurring

It has indeed been shipped.
Has anything changed in your experience with how often it happens?

1 Like

I’ve yet to be able to research this for myself. It might mean that I will have to check how it behaves on each server*, with or without teleporting/fast travel, and potentially ride around several times until it occurs.

*I know it’s unrelated but there are things that just do not behave consistently from server to server, such as Bug Bytes in the arcade to use as an example (@Maracaroni can confirm this).

1 Like

Thanks. I am asking because I have not yet been able to get it to happen after my fix, even after testing on different servers :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Hello,
I have just tried Dark Voyage for the first time.
I was on AUS/Sydney server.

This same issue just happened to me.
Car would get stuck at first gate.
Gate opens, then closes shortly after, and you’re stuck inside.

2 Likes

I have been grinding Dark Voyage the past weeks, and had this happen to me only once now [0.16.8.1].
I tried different servers (EU FR1 - 4) but on all of them I got stuck on the entry checkpoint.
Rebooting the game also didn’t fix this for me.

Perhaps tomorrow I’ll be more in luck

Hey all, new to the game/community!

Noticed this issue myself yesterday when playing. Getting stuck in the doors and the cart doesn’t move. Sometimes when spamming CTRL to leave the cart (and getting the error message that I can’t do so) I would eventually seem to start moving but I would be clipping into the cart and being teleported back into it and falling down into the ground every second or so. So kind of rubberbanding along with the cart while clipping into it.

@Madmijk I tried again just after 2am my time (1am GMT) when the EU servers went down - (presumably a scheduled restart?) - and as soon as the servers were back up I went straight onto it and the issue still persisted and the cart would not move and I would just be stuck in the airlock. So I don’t think it has anything to do with how long the server was running?

Will update again on here if I find out anything else.

1 Like

A workaround has been found whereby if you put your POV in to third person, it will start

4 Likes

Thanks!
I’ll be trying this out tonight and hopefully get back to grinding soon. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Can confirm this workaround is working for me too. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

This seems to be a combination of third person camera fuckery and desync

Screenshot_20230416_120946

1 Like

That is a very useful lead, thank you. I’m looking into the issue again.

2 Likes

We are pushing a fix in the coming update that may fix the issue. But I will be looking into it further.

3 Likes

Great work :slight_smile: this seems to be working for me now as of 0.16.9.0

2 Likes

Yes, it seems to be working good. I took my first trip though and got the I Survived achievement for it. Hopefully others can, too.

1 Like

Amazing. I was sitting here for two months trying to figure out why my code changes are making the ride unreliable, getting upset about it, and then one of the mappers looks at the map and goes: “oh, this object needs to be moved back a bit.”

Learning moment. Thank you for the confirmation!

5 Likes

As someone who dabbles in a bit of Doom modding, don’t you just love game programming sometimes

2 Likes