[0.16.4.1] Volume Suggestions and layout

So I’ve been fiddling a bit with Condo I/O, and as cool as it is, there are some issues I’ve noted in regards to how to work it.

Firstly, when it comes to items that have more than one input/output, there’s no way to change what gets connected to what. It will always connect it to the main input/output (marked with a star), which then requires the extra step of having to manually reassign it in the Edit menu. If we could use the scroll wheel to change the type of connection being made, that would be greatly helpful.

Secondly, when trying to connect items through the edit menu, if there are multiple items of the same type, the menu makes no indication which item is what, or where that item even is. It makes it difficult to pinpoint and make sure you’re connecting up the right one. Having a way to just actively pick an item based on your view, rather than a menu, would greatly help.

Regarding Volumes, so far I haven’t messed with many, but I did have ideas regarding 2 of them.

For the Teleporter Volume, perhaps a setting that would only teleport an individual a number of units along 1 axis. For instance, a Teleporter that teleports you 300 units up (Z), but your X and Y coordinates stay the same. It would be helpful for things like Elevator builds, where it would be less jarring and more seamless for the player.

For the Blocking volume, my suggestion is the simple addition of an inverter. Rather than blocking players or things out, it keeps them in. It would greatly help people set boundaries for their condos and maps without needing to use extra resources, like canvas walls and items to make invisible barriers.

I’ll probably add more to this later if more things come to mind as I fiddle with more of Condo I/O.

There is a feature in which you can give names to individual items to help identify/tag items when you have multiple of them.

1 Like

I’m working on making it so you can drag and drop connections to another event, so it’ll be a lot easier. I’m also working on copy paste support for connections within the connection panel too.

I am also planning on making it so you can preview which event it’ll input on the connection tool screen with the scroll wheel option as well.

You can rename items within their edit panel, but you can also rename them directly in the connection editor. Next update will have a feature that when you highlight the connection, it’ll draw a visual line to the item so you can get a better idea of what you’re able to edit.

1 Like

This will help. I’m aware you can rename items, however you still have to scroll through an entire list of items, especially on larger builds, and many players also don’t know about the renaming ability right away.

This is largely what I was suggesting. If we could use the scroll wheel to switch which connection(s) we’re wiring up, it would be a great QoL boost.

I’d also like to know if Teleporters or Teleport volumes could be adjusted to where having one unhide or spawn beneath you teleports you immediately, rather than not registering until the player jumps to re-collide with the hitbox? It’s another reason why my workaround solution for the Teleporter Volumes never worked like I wanted.

This is a bug with Unreal’s hit detection system. I’m still looking for a solution.

1 Like

Ok so a thought I had regarding some other Volumes:

Can the gravity volume be used to perhaps change the direction of gravity rather than just its strength?

Being able to change the direction of gravity can be a great help in certain builds.

Also, could the teleporter Volumes instead have inputs/outputs that act as single-fire teleports of whatever is inside, rather than toggling the Teleporter’s active/inactive state? The current ones can act as a toggle, much like how doors have an “Open” “Close” and “Toggle” Input already.

You can also utilize some assets from maps as button props, like elevator buttons, toggle switches, and more, and maybe even meters that could measure input activity or return data based on what they’re connected to (like an object’s speed or power, or maybe a light’s brightness or glass’ transparency, in order to make moving, fluctuating meters using I/O)