[0.15.1.1] Emote menu takes over the spacebar

The emote menu takes over function of the spacebar.

After selecting an emote, pressing the spacebar will not make you jump, but rather repeat the input of selecting the last emote you chose.

To my current knowledge, no other menu does this.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Open the emote menu
  2. Try jumping around
  3. Actually select an emote
  4. Try jumping around again

What I expected to happen

Jumping to function while the emote menu is open

What happened

Spacebar will instead make you repeat the emote that was last selected until the menu is closed.

Notes / Media

So this obviously sounds super specific and not a big deal, but this has been bothering me a lot for one very big reason: You used to be able to emote while flying (and it was very fun.)

In fact, I thought the inability to emote while jetpacking was something that was simply “fixed,” which seemed uncharacteristically anti-fun of the devs, but it turns out you still can, but you have to rebind jump to something other than spacebar:

This is actually a really annoying default behavior with Unreal’s input system and their buttons. When a button is selected, it becomes “in focus”.

Once in focus, the space bar will press the button, causing this issue. Unfortunately focus is needed for controller support. And even more unfortunate, Unreal makes buttons focusable by default! Which is extremely annoying and time consuming to constantly resolve each UI element.

I’ve gone through a lot of them and future UI doesn’t have these particular issues. The emote menu is one of the older UI elements in the game, it needs a complete overhaul.

Long story short, this is now resolved, I just disabled the focus on the emote menu, but there are many other UI elements that can cause this issue that I’m still hunting down.

4 Likes

This still appears busted in the beta branch.