[0.14.8.0] Condo Gives up with Collision

After an hour or so of hosting my condo, every item placed lost collision. Causing all players to fall through them and into the ocean on default condo. I checked during the bug, but all items were still marked for collision enabled.

Steps to Reproduce

Unknown, some speculate it’s the result of teleporting out too far.
But no teleport in my condo goes out to max or close to it. Perhaps it was the result of too many players loading the world at once?

What I expected to happen

The normal behavior.

What happened

Every placed item lost collision and every player fell through them.

1 Like

This is something we noticed with Plaza back in 2018 Halloween update. How many items do you have in your Condo?

One thing to help with this was to reduce the amount of items that players collide with, but for Condos that is nearly impossible to resolve, but I think there can be some creative solutions for us to figure out.

3 Likes

Where would I go to check the amount of items used in the condo?
Only times I can really see is during loading, and the last time I saw it was well over 3k

1 Like

This has also happened during Bone Zone. It seems to be entirely exclusive to Multiplayer as I’ve never experienced it in dense singleplayer Condos.

I think it’s less about the amount of items and more to do with how many people are active at once and if they’re standing on items.

1 Like

I’m not sure how UE4 handles collision but the Doom Engine handles collision on a large scale by using a block map, the map is split in to 128x128 chunks and instead of game logic checking for collision between a single projectile and every monster on the map (of which there could be hundreds, thousands, or even tens of thousands, especially on maps running under modern sourceports eg. Okuplok on PrBoom), it instead checks for collision based on which chunk the projectile and any monsters are in, and any neighbouring chunks.

Yeah that’s called BSP. Unreal does not use BSP, unless you use their brush system which is not real-time. The brush system has to be compiled using the editor.

1 Like

Doom uses BSP for geometry clipping as well. I don’t know if BSP is still relevant after so many years of shader-based clipping.