Where are we drawing the line with mature content?

Parental controls are a feature that we are working on implementing, although no ETA is known.

The stance on mature content (as I see it) really is server specific. When you are on one of the official lobby servers, you are expected to follow the rules of that server. The official lobby server is sort of designed to be a bit family friendly, although we realize that doesn’t always happen. We try as best as we can to moderate the official servers, and keep them clear of mature content.

With Condo’s however, it is someone’s own server. The condo owner has complete reign over their condo. If they want to play explicit videos in their condo, they are allowed to do so, it’s their choice. The only rules in a condo are whatever the owner decides to enforce, no lobby server can dictate their rules on a Condo. When it comes to Condo to Lobby Chat, banning a player (I believe) will make it so their condo will no longer associate with that Lobby, and their chat should not carry over.

The parental controls planned will allow you to be able to completely disable canvases, by replacing them with stock images that Pixeltail selects. To go along with this, you’ll be able to disable the YouTube player in condos, as well as voice and text chat, as well as other features I haven’t stated here.

I want to say the plan is to have these parental rules condo-specific, so every time you visit a new condo, you can choose the level of blocking you want to enable, but I’m not 100% clear on that. I believe one of the things that might be possible as well is to be able to select a default filter for all condos, and selectively turn things ON instead of off, in kind of a white list type of scenario, but again, this is all up in the air.

Hopefully this answers some questions, again no ETA on when these parental controls would be in the game, but they are a planned feature.

4 Likes