Weekly Dev Log for May 25th, 2018

Weekly Dev Log for May 25th, 2018

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for the week of May 25th, 2018. If you haven’t heard, we’ve recently retired our old Daily Dev Log in favor of the Weekly Dev Log, which will allow us to give a broader picture and explain things in plain English, while also including some photos from development. Without further ado, let’s get started.

New Employees

We’re pleased to introduce our two new employees, Alex and Rob to the team. Alex is our new animator who will start helping with animations for weapons and emotes, and Rob is our new programmer who will be helping out with backend systems. We’re very excited to have them on board, and stick around for future Dev Logs featuring their work.

Zombie Massacre

Weapons

A new weapon was added this week to Zombie Massacre, the Dissector, which’ll fire sawblades into crowds of zombies.
The grenade launcher was changed to allow players to determine when to detonate the grenade. Players click once to fire the grenade and click again to detonate.
A radius indicator was added to help players know the range of melee weapons.

Zombie Massacre New Weapon: Dissector

Zombie Massacre: Melee Range Indicator

Zombie Massacre: Flamethrower on Compound

HUD Feedback

Extra feedback to the HUD was added this week, which will be useful when the player is on fire, being webbed, or stepping on acid.

Zombie Massacre: HUD Feedback Sorry about the low bit-rate

Spider Boss

@macdguy spent most of this week finishing up the spider boss. The boss was updated to have 3 unique attacks. The first two main special attacks are web spit and acid pools. When at half health the boss will preform an ultimate attack, which for the spider is summoning an army of spiders. Each boss has an intro sequence, as shown below.

Zombie Massacre: Spider Boss Intro

Maps

@Lifeless continued working on Compound, Trainyard, and Gasoline. Compound has been for the most part completed.

Art

@Wergulz worked this week on clothing variants for the Zombies. He created variants for both the pants and the shirt, making 4 different Zombie variants in total. These were bound to the skeleton, adjusted, and imported into the game.

Slaughterday Night Live

RPG-7

Chris continued working on the RPG-7 this week, finishing his last pass on the metal and grunge texture work.

Slaughterday Night Live: RPG-7 First Person View

Slaughterday Night Live: RPG-7 Front Overview

Slaughterday Night Live: RPG-7 Back Overview

M1 Garand

@krionikal started working on the weapon animations for the M1 Garand this week.

Minigolf: Kingdom

@Johanna finished all of the holes for the Market area, and completed the main art passes for the market and riverlands areas.

Minigolf - Kingdom: New Holes

Minigolf - Kingdom: Market Overview

Upcoming Furniture

@JJosh worked this week on a Tea Kettle and Teacup, and started working on some Kids Furniture, consisting of tables and chairs.

Upcoming Furniture: Tea Kettle and Teacup

Catsack Change

In the early days of Tower Unite, the very first item was the Catsack, internally known as ID 0. In later months, we realized that ID 0 was reserved and should not be used, and pushed a new version of the Catsack with ID 3. When the ID was changed, we updated The Stray to start providing Catsacks with ID 3. Recently however, Valve has updated the Steam API, which caused any activation’s of Catsacks with the ID of 0 to fail. It turns out, we had forgot to replicate the change from ID 0 to ID 3 inside of Spin 2 Win, and as a result it was still providing users with Catsacks with the ID of 0. Earlier this week, we updated the Spin 2 Win machines to start handing out Catsacks with the ID of 3.

What does this mean for you? Because Catsacks with ID 0 will no longer function, beginning on the release of 0.5.0.0, any Catsacks with the ID of 0 will be removed from your account, and players will be refunded for them. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened this week at PixelTail Games. We’ll see you all next week, and have a great weekend!

25 Likes

cluck cluck cluck ma queen
that’s still relevant right?

2 Likes

no. stop.

2 Likes

Welcome to the team Rob and Alex!

2 Likes

Missed opportunity to use the Utah teapot! https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Utah_teapot_simple_2.png

2 Likes

Ah a cuppa tea.

Ello Guvnor.

3 Likes

That Spider Boss intro is so rad

2 Likes

FUCK ZOMBIE MASSACRE. I FUCKING. HATE. SPIDERS.

in all seriousness though, that looks REALLY GOOD. Keep it going devs. You’re so close!

1 Like

S҉p҉i҉d҉e҉r҉ ҉M҉a҉s҉s҉a҉c҉r҉e҉

2 Likes

ID 0 Catsacks should be turned into deflated catsack models. It’s not a bug it’s a feature.

3 Likes

Sooo, all those Catsacks I have won on Spin to Win will go phut? Hmm, just as log as I keep my army of money dissolving killer potatoes.

Zombies? Pah! When the chips are down potatoes are the answer.

Like the new model, Oh hello Spider boss, milk or Napalm?

Any chance of having the whack-a-mole hammer added to this part of the game? Spiders seem to have no defence for a well aimed sledgehammer.

And a new mini golf course! ohh… but pleeeese fix the glitches in the current ones - I’m looking at you Cannons hole in treasure cove!

The Kingdom art style is really appealing, I hope we see some themed condos for it and furniture in the future. Really can’t wait to play golf on that map. Also Zombie Massacre is looking incredible, looking forward to trying it out.

2 Likes