Weekly Dev Log for May 11th, 2018

Weekly Dev Log for May 11th, 2018

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for the week of May 11th, 2018. If you haven’t heard, we’ve recently retired our old Daily Dev Log in favor of the Weekly Dev Log, which will allow us to give a broader picture and explain things in plain English, while also including some photos from development. Without further ado, let’s get started.

Zombie Massacre

Animations

@Madmijk finished the creation and destruction animations on all of the droppable items.

Art

@Wergulz finished polypainting the zombie skin and created a final skin texture.

Maps

@Lifeless continued working on the Gasoline, Trainyard, and Compound.

Updates and Changes

@macdguy updated the pickup system to use the spacebar to pick up items, rather than the character automatically picking up items they’ve walked over, so that the player will have the option of picking up the item or not. He also finished implementing the Starter Weapon upgrade, which allows the player to upgrade their Handgun into a Double Handgun, Uzi, and finally a Sawed Off Shotgun, all of which would have unlimited ammo since they are starter weapons. The zombie spawner logic was also switched, so that zombies will only spawn where players can’t see them.

@Madmijk also nerfed the Electrician’s Turret, and increased the radius for both the Doctor’s Healing Kit and the Scientist’s Black Hole items.

Virus

Animations

@krionikal continued working on the weapon animations for the pulse rifle and sonic shotgun, and started re-doing the animations for the Adrenaline using the new rig.

Weapons

@Johanna worked this week on upgrading the visual effects for the Sonic Shotgun, Plasma Rifle, and the Scifi Handgun.

Slaughterday Night Live

RPG-7

Chris started working on a higher detailed RPG-7 for use in Slaughterday Night Live. This week he finished the block-out and started working on the high-poly.

Slaughterday Night Live: RPG-7 Overview WIP

Slaughterday Night Live: RPG-7 Sight Closeup WIP

Slaughterday Night Live: RPG-7 First Person View WIP

Condo Polishing Update: Suite

@Johanna continued her polishing pass on the condos this week, continuing with the Suite condo. She added a new scenic backdrop, redid the glass texture, and updated the condo so lights operate correctly.

Suite Condo Polishing: New Scenic Backdrop

Suite Condo Polishing: New Glass Material

Suite Condo Polishing: Lighting Upgrade On

Suite Condo Polishing: Lighting Upgrade Off

Achievement Trophies

@Johanna worked this week on creating the trophies that players will obtain for completing achievements.

Achievement Trophy: Laser Tag

Upcoming Furniture

@JJosh continued working this week on adding new furniture. This week he added a Movie Theatre Canvas, Bar Table, Wooden Stool, Old Bookshelf, Spilled Drink, Cookie, Smoothie, and a Cupcake.

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened this week at PixelTail Games. We’ll see you all next week, and have a great weekend!

26 Likes

Damn the trophies are gonna be pretty sick!
Any chance some of them could have particles attached to them similar to catsacks with the sparkles?

9 Likes

Oh my lord, the new suite redesign looks amazing, and I’m hoping for more trophies for more games. So cool.

wow a motel

2 Likes

The zombies are painted! I wannah see that! They blended in with the concrete a lot when they were grey so the ZM gameplay on the stream was hard to keep up with.

I’ve been so curious about milestones I forgot there were physical trophies for achievements. Those are gonnah be fun to collect.

This sounds fantastic, especially for more difficult to acquire trophies. Only concern is I notice items with particle effects seem to have more of an impact on FPS than items without. At least for me they do when I spawn a lot in a tight area. I’m a little below the average specs nowadays.

If they do give some of the more difficult trophies particle effects, I think it would be a good idea to let you turn those effects off to help performance, I love the idea otherwise.

3 Likes

Im pretty sure at this point that the word “Gasoline” is code for “Oil Tycoon” and im pretty sure that the zombies are in on it.

Hey guys, there’s a dude at the door in a white shirt with a bomb logo on it, apparently he’s saying that we stole his guns.

2 Likes

loving the new upcoming furniture

Have the mountains in the Suite-Condo changed position?

Doesn’t look like it, it looks like there have been placed a few more though.

guess we’re going to need a bigger trophy shelf

2 Likes

item scaler tho

Love the trophies idea! A great way to truly show off key achievements for some people

Only to make them even bigger.
Making them smaller would only be an insult to oneself.

My god. Trophies. Aaaaaaa.

lovin the game right now! excited for the new update, but a few questions: will it always be a top down shooter or will we have the option to change the FOV? just thought itd be pretty cool to see whats going on from the eyes of the characters. also sorry for asking no rush but what will be the main focus after this update? like will be more games, character customization, arcade, bumper cars, etc. only criticism i have is I dont know if this is only me but bowling feels a lil glitchy also since its been a main source for getting units, once again no rush :smiley: thanks!

1 Like

The original version of zombie massacre was completely top down, so it’s safe to assume this will be too. As for what’s next, check the Trello. It’s shows what they’re currently working on and estimates for stuff they aren’t.

https://trello.com/b/6BwRMiPw/tower-unite-roadmap