Weekly Dev Log for August 20th, 2018

Weekly Dev Log for August 20th, 2018

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for the week of August 20th, 2018. Here’s what the dev team was up to this week! Note: Devs that don’t appear in the weekly log are not necessarily away or not doing work, but may be working on things currently not announced or backend work that doesn’t need to be detailed.

Workshop

Mac has continued getting Workshop closer to being ready for a first release, fixing various bugs, visually updating menu visuals, adding metadata editing, error handling, and did some play testing with other devs testing out different scenarios

Example of imported model ingame

A… unusual test

New UI allowing workshop uploaders to edit existing uploads

Meta Data editor, allowing users to change things like wearable offsets and player scale, etc (strictly only for Player models so far)

Animations

Alex has continued working on some dance animations, blocking out the chill dance and animating some other new emotes

The blocked out chill dance

The blocked out agree emote

More Models

Josh has been further working on adding new items to TU, including a School chair and desk, tea set, and gas pump.

Virus Music

Will has been further working on more Virus music, although none to show at this time.

Misc

Lifeless has continued working on Project ##

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened this week at PixelTail Games. See you all next Monday!

20 Likes

Hmm… Cool animations.
How long till Workshop release? We must be getting close! :smiley:

1 Like

beer model confirm

1 Like

beer… amazing

My body is ready for emotes

The milk carton turned 21 in milk years

“Thanks man, that **Beer (was Dino)**mite!”

Maybe Lifeless is working on Halloween stuff?

Wait a minute… I’ve seen this before.

15 Likes

thank you kanye very cool

Implementing workshop is both good and bad, and to be completely honest. I’m scared to see how it turns out. Let’s take Garry’s Mod for example, I just removed over 100 gigabytes of stuff I’ve had to download when joining servers, whoops.

But what concerns me more is that players will gravitate towards the easily accessible Workshop items, and as a fan of rewarding myself by going on a shopping spree after gathering a ton of units, I hope that aspect of the game won’t get covered in dust. I realize not all players enjoy having to grind for money but for me back in GMT collecting enough money to buy a couple new playermodels once they came on a sale was the best thing.

And on another concern, the game could turn into VRChat without the VR-part, seeing all sorts of abominations running around. But don’t get me wrong, I’m not all against workshop, it has been a real life saver in the past, I mean, GMod Tower wouldn’t have been nearly as accessible without it. I just hope that my paranoia will get crushed by the real thing once it gets released.

These two concerns you have we’ve been talking about for awhile now and have plans for both.

The rewards will no longer be player models. EXP, cool items, achievements, unlockables (customizing your game world look), and milestones are the rewards. Player models in Tower Unite never had a price, which is something we still want to keep going forward with Workshop. Workshop will allow people to be what they want to be.

The second concern is addressed by having in-game methods to block items you don’t like seeing. You can block workshop models, workshop genres (memes is a tag, for example), and continue enjoying the game without seeing weird creations.

5 Likes

What does the player see instead of, when seeing players using playermodels that the viewer has blocked? Will it just use some of the basic models instead?

3 Likes

It’ll revert to the default male, female, or skeleton models.

1 Like

so the default player models be the same with coloring stuff and accesories and the workshop player models will replace it unless it is blocked

Yes.

1 Like

Will there be some indicator that their player model is being blocked, instead of you just not knowing?

2 Likes

VRChat was always Tower without the gameplay part to me. Not an insult to VRChat, just saying it has its focuses on different aspects. While people will inevitably continue to draw this comparison despite different focuses in each game, I don’t think Tower will ever have trouble standing on its own with a unique atmosphere and community. While the game is still relatively small in a lot of ways, I think its already accomplishing this.

I personally don’t particularly enjoy some fandoms and uhm… virtual “lifestyles” that are prominent online and will arise like with any other platform with user generated avatars, it shouldn’t be a problem for anyone with the filter. I’m mostly relieved the models will have to live up to Steam Workshop guidelines.

As for your concern for unit purchases getting antiquated and become irrelevant, I think certain condos and items that can’t be work shopped (such as equipables) will keep this from being an issue. Also the exp and milestone items Mac mentioned will always need to be earned.

The one concern I do share is the impact on the file size, which I’m sure won’t be nearly as bad as gmod or custom source servers in general. I’m still riding out a tiny solid state and need to get around to upgrading.

2 Likes

how much Vbucks for the emotes?

3 Likes