Tower Unite WORKING on Oculus Rift

After a few workarounds and an hour of frustration, I’ve done it.

It has full head tracking and is extremely comfortable to walk around the condo in. The only problem is that I can’t seem to join the plaza. Either way, it was exciting just to see this work, and I just figured I’d share it with you all.

17 Likes

Congrats, have a pizza :pizza:

3 Likes

:smirk::pizza:

1 Like

HOW

If you haven’t kept up with every thread I’ve made since early access, I’ve been trying and looking for a way to force the game into VR, because I just got my friend down the street hooked on VR and I wanna show him his own condo.

1 Like

Used VorpX, it’s a $40 program. Only worth it if you’re willing to do a lot of tweaking and fine adjustments. Once you do, though, you can use nearly any 3D game in VR. I have yet to find one it doesn’t work with so far.

1 Like

well done mate. :clap:

1 Like

I already have VorpX, any specific settings you used to make it work/make it feel better?

I’ll PM you with my settings. I’m using a modified version of the Unreal Engine 3 preset for a higher FOV and such.

1 Like

can we have a in game gameplay?

Quick update, here’s as good of a video I could get. The distortion is inherent in all VR headsets, that’s why the video looks stretched. Facecam as well this time, though this is probably the first and last time I’ll be posting any photos or videos of myself here. :sweat:

6 Likes

Oh no, anything but that. Why can’t there be a better alternative? I’m worried I might actually have to buy in. :disappointed:

Is it in stereoscopic 3D?

Technically yes, but it’s not geometry-mapped. It’s hard to perceive exactly how far away distant objects are, but close objects seem much closer. For true stereo 3D, you’d need to make fundamental changes to the game itself as the devs have mentioned before.
:pensive:

Honestly though, the headtracking alone is pretty good for what it is for now, and it’s good enough for me. “True” 3D is supported by a bunch of other engines (Source, UE3, Creation Engine). Maybe they’ll even add UE4 support in a vorpX update soon, who knows?

1 Like

I scoured every corner of every forum on the internet, and unfortunately VorpX seems to be the only program worth anything. It also has built in support for several engines so you shouldn’t have to do too much tweaking for games that support it natively. TU was an exception because it didn’t have a profile made for it. I promise you won’t be disappointed though, and you can message me if you need help setting up any games. I promise I’ll help you out if you decide to get it.
:smile: