Tower Unite Dedicated Server Setup!

i added a Copy command to my script so After the Steam update Just before the server starts. it Copys a Backed up DefaultGame.ini

./updateball.sh &&
cp /home/ogvisualz/Servers/Backup/Ball5/Tower/Config/DefaultGame.ini /home/ogvisualz/Servers/Ball5/Tower/Config/ &&
cp /home/ogvisualz/Servers/Backup/Ball5/Tower/Config/DefaultEngine.ini /home/ogvisualz/Servers/Ball5/Tower/Config/ &&
cd /home/ogvisualz/Servers/Ball5 &&
./Tower/Binaries/Linux/TowerServer-Linux-Shipping -log

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t copy the default game. Ini as it also contains information about the game version. Instead I would edit the configs in the saved folder as this will make sure that most changes are still applied.

1 Like

All you need is to change 0.1.0.4 to 0.1.0.5 and so on when a new update is released,

1 Like

yup. but simply editing the config in the saved/TowerServer folder solves this problem without any extra work required after each update

1 Like

I keep getting an API error. Yet Iā€™m running the server on a rented VDS with no firewall. So I canā€™t figure out the issue.

1 Like

So the Saved folder ini files work for you? Mine are empty once the TowerUnite server app starts.

1 Like

My last steam update didnā€™t reset it no. That was when I updated to 0.1.0.5 before this version, it did reset.

1 Like

Linux friends take note

sed -i s/"Tower Unite Lobby"/"My Cool Tower LobbyName"/g [/PATH/TO/]Tower/Config/DefaultGame.ini

shell that shit

3 Likes

very noice :smile:

1 Like

https://jii.moe/N1uE8o6k-.webm
No, I donā€™t do parties
Only updates/restarts when new public build is up in the steam depots

2 Likes

Will you share? Would be useful in a future wiki where the Linux Dedicated Server set-up is explained.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been fleshing it out a bit more since
I have a batch on my home desktop that now places a file on the server
the cron runs every 5 minutes in a offline mode to check if the file exists, if so it will update

otherwise online mode leeches of a curl json response

really is the first bash script Iā€™ve hacked up

as for code, I have an old version I posted a screenshot of on facepunch
https://jii.moe/EkzIZsp1Z.png

the if statement doesnā€™t work as planned and I use a != instead now because why not
Also uses jq 1.5 because json objects, as much as I hate dependencies, itā€™s recommended over awk for this case

2 Likes

really good stuff. a lot better than simply rebooting the server twice a week and updating during reboot (through crons) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey. Iā€™m new at this server hosting. I was trying to host tower unite. I did everything. But where in the file of DefaultGame.ini to configure?

1 Like

This guide is a bit outdated, and you should be following this one now. Steam Community :: Guide :: Lobby Dedicated Server Setup

1 Like

Ok. I tried that. I done the updating with success. Still nothing. It still saying unable to intialize SteamGamerServer API.

1 Like

Anyone know how to port forward?

1 Like
1 Like

I am unable to initialize SteamGameServer API.

1 Like

@CalculatorSpoon
Close Tower.exe in task manager, run the server, then run Tower Unite.

If that doesnā€™t work your ports are not all forwarded.

1 Like