Thread option to lock posts after a certain amount of time with no replies

We need a way to lock our own threads, or an option to lock the thread after a certain amount of time with no replies.

This would help with annoying ressurrections.

11 Likes

As long as it doesn’t force users to create duplicate threads that have to be merged by the developers (for example, consider all of the Elevator: Source suggestions that have been made because users didn’t know about the previous suggestions and because they didn’t want to bump any old threads) I’d be alright with this. The problem with locking threads is it typically does force users to create duplicate threads, which earns them backlash from the community.

Locking threads should be limited to trivial categories such as Off Topic and Questions, but definitely not Suggestions.

As a side question, what is so annoying about people bumping threads to contribute information? There isn’t much explanation in your original post unfortunately, and I’d like to know why old posts should be left alone forever. I mean, bumping posts has been recognised as alright by the developers in the past, so I’m still unsure why bumping old posts with new information still earns people backlash.

Not to sound rude but: Because people are bastards that choose to act before they think about it?
Just a mere guess but thats kinda how it seems people are here.

Anyway the idea that threads (suggestions in this case) have to lock after a certain time does seem kinda stupid considering if someone had a brilliant addition to a certain suggestion and the thread just locked or has been locked for some time then they will have to make a new thread, which as Erickson9610 said is gonna make a few people abit angry, which results in needless drama that goes nowhere.

Nothing is wrong with bumping posts.

I have seen many necrobumps that were about 2 or 3 words long and didn’t contribute in any way. They just came from bored people.

I know what they sometimes do, the problem is I don’t understand the explicit reason why one should always be upset when their thread is revived for a small time, no questions asked. I would honestly just ignore it and let the thread die again. I can’t control what other people do (though in a sense having some control would save some hassle), it’s up to them to follow the guidelines.

I understand that having some control over your thread may be beneficial, but looking at the logical advantages to not giving users that control (which can be abused), I’m led to believe that perhaps it’s not worth the individuals’ peace of mind of archiving one’s own post in favour of keeping the forums as a whole a little more tidy and less unknown throughout by the users of the forum.

That’s why I said it should be an option when you create the post.

Which, again could/would cause the previously mentioned scenarious where someone has something great to add but the thread has auto locked, forcing them to create a completely new thread just to say what they need to say.

Also you can choose to stop following extremely old threads in the unread section.

As Mac has previously stated, as long as it is contributing to the conversation, it is ok.

I’m on the same opinion as well. I’d rather have a thread about an idea go dormant then then get full of life again, rather than 15 topics about the same thing because they were made months apart.

2 Likes