This Week in Tower - Episode 1

DIES OF EXCITEMENT :scream:

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™d be great and nicely connect the entire thing together
as for guest appearances, I nominate @AshGe (multiple builds) @JesusFreak (multiple builds) and @mgproductions20 (Karlā€™s balls and Escaping myself)

2 Likes

Looks good dude! Great production quality with the transitions, high mic quality, 1080p60, and scripted segments keeping everything informative but quick. Subscribing to this as itā€™ll be a nice alternative way to keep up with whatā€™s announced/going on in TU instead of sorting through 60+ ā€œNewā€ posts on the forums every couple days. Keep it up!

1 Like

This is GREAT, but may I have a couple suggestions to improve the series:

1. How about putting in some quiet background music to add to the atmosphere of the video? I suggest either using the OST or something more eclectic, like Shoot the Moons or something.

2. You know those lower thirds they use on news channels and news shows? What if you used one of those during segments to show whatā€™s going on and maybe make a quip or two in the process? Hereā€™s one of my favorite YT news shows, CheckPoint, using lower thirds in action if you need a reference: https://youtu.be/rWnWpq0CFE4?t=41

But yeah, so far, so good. I canā€™t wait to see where this series goes.

EDIT: Also, if you want to use a theme song, may I recommend this?

3 Likes

Thank you a bunch. Iā€™m gonna start working on a lower third for the bottom of the screen, and just so I know, where is that theme from? Iā€™d just like to know in case copyright info becomes a problem.

1 Like

you know, seeing the lack of quality TU youtube content, you could propably expand to a full-fledged show and keep the news segment

just a random though lol, reminded me of one really old The sims video podcast I used to watch a looong time ago

4 Likes

I kind of prefer smaller easy to digest episodes rather than full shows.

1 Like

Really cool, a pointer to use for your ā€˜at the deskā€™ shots is to tweak your FOV and the background (maybe even set up a screen via green key to the side of yourself?) This will allow you to present slideshows alongside your narration without taking up the entire screen when you wonā€™t need it to.

hereā€™s a very crude example of what I mean

9 Likes

Oh yeah! I thought of doing this and I was going to make a physical green screen in the studio to do this, but it didnā€™t work too well. Iā€™m in the process of redesigning the desk at the moment and I have to play around with the concept for a bit.

3 Likes

Doing good Gryphon, canā€™t wait to see more episodes and maybe more?

2 Likes

Itā€™s from one of MACROSS 82-99ā€™s old albums, Sailorwave. I think it uses samples, but Iā€™ve seen it been used in other YT videos so I think youā€™re fine.

1 Like

What failed with the greenscreen?
Also I PMā€™d you @anon38270777 :wink:

@mgproductions20 I just canā€™t seem to find a good angle to show myself, the green screen, and the desk. It was all a bit cramped and I think Iā€™m just going to use an overlay instead of chroma-keying stuff in the game from now on.

2 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s how I would do it too. Just put my character to the side, and show an image on the right (with a border around it). Perfect.

1 Like

Hey guys, reviving the thread to say that unfortunately, there will not be a new episode this week. Iā€™m going to have to make the show on a more loose schedule. I finished nearly an entire episode and scrapped it because I felt like it just didnā€™t work well. It was rushed and I feel like it would have worked better had I spent a few days on it instead of just 3 hours. The new episode will have to be readyā€¦ Well, when itā€™s ready.

5 Likes

I would give you my office for this :slight_smile:

butā€¦ he has his own placeā€¦ that (IMO) looks better than your office
EDIT: not to sound rude, itā€™s obviously up Gryphon to decide

Iā€™m glad youā€™ve decided to do this. I always felt like making a new video every week (thatā€™s heavily-edited, anyway) was a bad decision and leads to lesser-quality videos. Iā€™m assuming youā€™ll switch to a monthly schedule, then?

Probably. I was really hoping for it to be weekly, but thereā€™s so much more that goes into it. After all the video is recorded and the photos I want to use are saved, I have to record lines over and over until theyā€™re just right, edit out unnecessary dialogue (I cut out several minutes from the original script), and apply stuff like echo cancellation and other effects to polish it up. It takes longer than I thought.

3 Likes

Itā€™s great that youā€™ve chosen quality over quantity. Your last episode was also great and I hope you can continue this. <3

2 Likes