Steam officially stops making sense

Out of boredom, I went to the store page of a certain recently released half life fan mod on steam to read the negative reviews, and noticed something weird on the “is this game relevant to you?” bit

A single player game with a plot more laughable then bad DA fan fic is apparently, somehow similar to Left 4 dead 2.

Maybe Steam considers them similar because of all of the blatant L4D assets the game steals.

I’m so sorry for reminding people that this terrible half life mod exists, I just found this kind of amusing, but this post is probably lower quality then the average shitpost.

1 Like

The “similar to” is generated based on tags and both games share a lot of the same tags.

I noticed that it uses tags to determine what games are similar to each other literally right after I made the original post.

I still like to think that it’s because HDTF stole loads of assets though.

wheRe is gordUuuUUN??? whERE Is the fREeMAAhn???

I doubt that though. I don’t think Steam has the time/resources to go through the files of every individual game and compare them to the assets of every other game.
Plus, wouldn’t the Half-life games be more “similiar”, then?

That was meant to be a joke, I didn’t actually think Steam listed them as similar because of the assets in the games themselves.

Maybe Black Messa’s in L4D2 and we just never knew.

They don’t have to. An algorithm does that. It can just inspect common code and look for similar assets to try and make guesses for similar games.