Small question about the discord

Just a small little thing…

Why is it phone verification!? Thats literally useless when you can simply have a verification channel to verify your pixeltail account.
Its honestly stupid since im not giving my phone number just to talk in a discord, server, but i really want to join it since its the only way to connect to the community.
please have some other form of verification, because i’ll only give my number to something i trust.

the server was attacked by bots so it’s the best way of preventing that in the future

6 Likes

Well, dang.
I was hoping to get into it but now I cant since im stuck just staring at chat.

We don’t see the phone number or handle the verification - Discord does.

3 Likes

Phone verification is a standard nowadays, as each number is unique to it’s sim, and getting a new sim is much harder (and more costly) than simply getting a new mail adress.

3 Likes

I know this is going to get shot down like every Discord suggestion I’ve said out loud in the past but… get a bot.

You got attacked by emoji spam, which a bot would have deleted and banned the spammer(s) right away. Not everyone has a phone or simply doesn’t want to own a phone.

The PixelTail Games Discord is the only one I know that uses phone verification - not even the largest Discord communities with 20 times your members do that. Because it’s restricting and doesn’t even assure that spammers won’t fuck your shit up.

14 Likes

Phone verification is a good way to secure a Discord channel but the more I see people complaining they can’t give feedback (or just talk to people) in the Discord the more I’m convinced there’s gotta be a better way to handle the spam issues, like a standard bot or whatever

The bot takes care of the spam and no phone verification is required, people with no phone can talk, everyone wins

8 Likes

If you need phone verification literally ask your parents or ask a friend to help you out.

When Steam Guard wanted two-step verification with a phone number, I ended up borrowing a friend’s number because, probably like you, I didn’t have a job because I was too young and my parents didn’t want to pay for another phone line for me - probably also because I was too young.

Also I have no idea why you wouldn’t want to own a phone, the real downside is the cost but if you have people that want to contact you or you play mobile games, it makes up its value. And not even that, you can get a good smartphone for 20 - 30 dollars with rebate and have a phone line for 20 dollars a month.

1 Like

THIS. THIS THIS THIS A MILLION TIMES THIS. I know at least one self-hostable open-source bot that has anti-raid spam protection built in. It’d really easy to add one to the server and set one up yourselves. That way, you can still prevent against spam and people with no phone can talk in the chat, as Belgo said above.

If you don’t know what bot to choose for your server, you can look here or here or here.

9 Likes

Yes. There’s practically infinite bots to choose from and they do a damn good job from what I’ve seen so far.

5 Likes

heck, im in a discord server w/ 40k members and literally every raid fails horribly.

4 Likes

Just get a nice and secure open source bot that can also be hosted locally, change the picture and name to a catsack and BAM! Discord server is protected and has a mascot for it.

6 Likes

I don’t have a cell phone with working service, but I have discord, so I can go on the discord and only see messages and not respond. I also like the idea of a discord bot and maybe a welcome channel to verify people to make sure aren’t bots themselves before letting them into the regular discord channels. It kind of bums me out knowing I can only respond on here and not on there where a conversation is taking place that I’m interested in. Sorry to have bumped an old thread but i didn’t want to start another topic on this exact same issue.

2 Likes