Rip my condo

https://i.imgur.com/5fi9xyW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NkqH5Y2.jpg
time to start new projects

even though i’m kinda discouraged to work on anything if this happens

12 Likes

It’s unfortunate to see this happen to another person. Happened to me some time ago so I went to finding the route of the issue by forcing the corruption to occur, so here’s some ways to avoid it in the future:

1). Do not host your condo from a plaza, host from the main menu.
2). If opening your condo to the public; start in singeplayer, make a new save, load it and use that as your public save, then switch permissions to public. Once finished hosting to the public delete said save and return to your original to edit in singleplayer. (Disonnect from main menu and rehost to be sure before deleting the save).
3). Do not use your condo door to return to a plaza, disconnect from the menu or use the lobbies tab.
4). Make a backup save with the word ‘back’ in it and your common edit save, so you have a previous to fall back on.

Hope this helps for future projects.

2 Likes

both my main save and backup were corrupted

1 Like

If you loaded those saves during the time it got corrupted those will be corrupted too. It’s how I ended up losing my entire suite since I had two versions of the save, in panic I tried loading the other and only ended up getting that corrupted as well.

Just be cautious with your saves from now on.

1 Like

It’s quite sad to see these corruptions. Hope they tackle this bug at some point, kinda demotivates me from ever doing an overly complicated build.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this. Im not gonna be starting anything soon then.

1 Like

Jesus, this is awful. How many hours did you spend on it?

Wow… I’ve never seen a condo corruption and I’m really sorry that this had to happen to you on your very hard work. ;-;

I had a slightly corruption like this on one of my older canvas builts. My wild guess is that the game loads the savefile too fast and ignores some of the attributes for those canvas objects and therefor, places the textures wrong and loads the standart scaled canvas attributes.

Maybe you get lucky once they can pinpoint the issue in future patches.

After narrowing it down from testing it’s something to do with P2P and the plaza.
My first attempt was simply hosting via a plaza with 100+ ping and then leaving and reloading, result: Corrupted.
Second attempt was returning to plaza via the condo door, disconnecting and reloading from the menu, result: Corrupted.
Third attempt was hosting from main menu, opening for public.
Leaving it for a few minutes then disconnecting and reloading, result: Corrupted.

However this all seems to happen at will, I can open to Frankfurt (avg 40 ping) and it’ll not corrupt, but sometimes it will from simply leaving via the condo door to get some more items. The tests was all with it being open to the Chicago server which to me is 110 ping average. So something with P2P to plazas causes this as loading and disconnecting from the main menu does not cause the corruption.

As I stated in an earlier post, those steps can help prevent your save files from being corrupted. Just be very cautious with it when doing big impressive builds and you’re good.

Jesus, I’ve gotta apologize for this. We’re looking into fixing it, but it’s a particularly nasty bug that never seems to happen when you want it to. We’ve been considering overhauling the save system entirely, and fixing this will be one major benefit of that.

For now, the best I can say to do is save often, and save several backups. Sorry again, it’s high on my list.

17 Likes

Noooooooooo not the mega build! I’m sorry for your loss Umbra.

2 Likes

Probably like 120~ hours
It’s worse than I thought

1 Like

Oh no. D: That’s terrible. I remember popping onto that condo and being super impressed with it. I would never have the patience to do something like this. And to learn that after all the hours you spent on it, it just went and blew itself up on you… that’s just terrible. D:

Aw man. I’m going to miss that condo. Fond memories of running through it with 15 FPS, being amazed by the sheer dedication you put into every room… Such a shame.