Random Events

[size=6] yes [/size]

if they’re neat, you should add them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well they seen it!. At least Mac has seen it. OMG But seriously this needs to be added!

You’re a fucking genuis

More Lobby 1 events please ^.^

2 Likes

@Everyone
Hey guys, thanks for this.

1 Like

I’ve added new ideas, check them out!

The new ideas are great! I really hope they get added to the game at some point.

1 Like

Can’t use the likeness of any real person.
Though, maybe just do this with the crabs?

2 Likes

I think that would actually be cooler with crabs. It’d be like the spiritual successor to The Birds. lol. The Birds III: Invasion of the Crabs.

@cold_finger
Damnit, going to miss those Obama cutouts then.

I’ve added a few more.

I think that would be really annoying. And I don’t think the condo props will have physics enabled, to save memory.

2 Likes

@Arctiq
The props wouldn’t be saved in the position the earthquake left them, just leaving and reentering would clean them up into the original spot. But this one does sound unlikely due to the constraints on memory.

What exactly are these constraints by making objects fall down and settle on the ground in an earthquake? I mean, regardless of how I feel about the suggested feature, its no different then the memory it already takes to say that “specified item” is located at “x,y,z”.

Well, with moving objects I’d assume (I don’t actually know) that there is a whole new set of variables that control acceleration, velocity, and (as was when stationary) position. Combine this with their rotational equivalents and that’s actually quite a bit more memory than before (correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t make games). This could also be combined with the dynamic lighting feature to further stress systems, even if it would be cool to watch things jumble about for a bit.

@Caboose700
Say the server is full of condos and the Random Event, earthquake happened. UE4 has superior physics, but there is only so much physics it can handle at once. Players with lower end computers would crash first and higher end players would probably not feel much and some having some frame drops. That and the server’s memory so it could also cause the server to crash. But then again, UE4 could prove us wrong, I still don’t know what kinda stress it can be put through and run smooth.

1 Like

I think we might need Zak to weigh in here, because I still can’t see how having physics objects move around and then settle to a fixed point, until the user picks them off, will use SO MUCH MEMORY that lower end systems will crash. I’m not opposed to being corrected either.

NOTE: I’m not arguing that the GRAPHICAL stress of rendering all those objects aren’t a problem, I’m simply arguing the fact about the “memory constraints”. The graphical stress is a different issue entirely, and I agree that on a GPU side it’d be stressful.

Zak’s already demonstrated in the latest Livestream using the bowling balls in the bowling alley, spawning hundreds of them, all colliding with each other, moving around, mind you not networked, and there didn’t seem to be any performance hitches or issues that at least I could see.

I understand that if a condo is filled to the brim with objects, and then you go an apply physics to ALL OF THEM, there will be problems UNTIL the items settle to their resting point, and then “presumably” they are saved to the coordinates they are at and the physics turn off again.

And on the server level, my understanding of game servers, the server isn’t processing anything having to do with the physics, just their coordinates, which it already needs to know to display all the objects in the right place when you first enter the condo.

@Caboose700
The bowling balls were just dropped and rolled away, in the Earthquake thing, the props would be constantly jiggling, jumping, bumping, and flying about. Plus they would need to trigger something else to make the props move in that way, so depending on your system it could lag or not at all.

Yes we do need someone of good experience with the engine to weigh in. Please help us almighty code master, @Zak

2 Likes

Not to mention, during the stream you could see the game literally freeze when a lot of the bowling balls were dropped. And the bowling balls were simple spheres with a texture. Imagine a bunch of intricate objects being shaken around and moved.

However, you don’t know if that was the stream or the game. Their Dev streams are often really choppy to watch, and I doubt that has to do with their computers and more so their internet connection.