Question #392 is wrong

The answer is supposedly 1000 but the correct answer is actually 1024.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

i see that there is a big problem that the majority of people is taught that kilobyte is 1024 as a fact even though in the current day it is not classed as 1024 but 1000, so this question is confusing for lots of people, there are probably a few questions like these that will pop up guess we will have to deal with them :thinking::neutral_face:

1 Like

Most people would have similar problems differentiating between URI, URN and URL. (To be fair, I also have to look it up every time I wanna be sure to do it correctly.) I’d suggest rephrasing these kinds of questions to explicitly refer to the technically correct answer, something like “according to official NIST Standards”.

3 Likes

I think even better would be to just say “in decimal form” so they don’t think of the binary version.

1 Like

Or maybe rework the whole question into one about Kibibytes. If the player knows that unit, there’s no confusion left.

I still find this whole topic silly because as far as I know, objectively a kilobyte is and will always be 1024 bytes.

My IT teacher back in the days taught me that they only started saying “it’s actually 1000 bytes” for the dummies who can’t remember the 1024 and are like “UHH BUT IT’S KILO HURR DURR”, lol.

But yes I am aware that they tried to introduce kibibytes / kilobytes in 2000 but it never really managed to push through - It’s not really used… It was an attempt to make it more clear but it didn’t really work out.

I’ll always say that a kilobyte is 1024 bytes and nothing will change that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You might aswell ask “What’s a kilo” if you really want to use 1000 as the correct answer tbh.

I’d prefer macdguys method of saying “in decimal form” (or binary form if the answer is 1024), as kibibytes is something that never really managed to… push through.

I’d definitely prefer “in binary form” though, as the decimal form has nothing to do with IT anymore but with mathematics.

Because having the otherwise universal prefix for “thousand” stand for a different value in a single specific case makes a lot of sense. In a metric system based on universal, easily remembered prefixes, no less.

Still, I do agree the question should be changed to prevent confusion, wrong answers and arguments.

It’s one thing to discuss which phrasing is the most correct while confusing the least amount of players, another to push your personal preference because you’re used to it…

And IT is based on mathematics.

I’ve updated the question to:

“According to the International System of Units, how many bytes are in a kilobyte of RAM?”

1 Like