Portal Gun

I’d love to see some Valve-themed plushies. That’d be amazing.

2 Likes

I was referring to the Workshop/Valve content, not what’s present in-game (as it is a Source game, it’s to be expected there was a deal there). Garry obviously has no ruling over what the Workshop wants to present.

Garry has every right and ability to completely remove any workshop item he wants. He just doesn’t care to.

1 Like

Are developers really given that much authority over Workshop content? Kinda scary.

At least he understands mods bring him nothing but revenue, so it works out.

1 Like

I mean, why wouldn’t they have authority over their Workshop? As a developer, you need to be able to moderate the workshop.

Garry deletes thousands of sex poses.

3 Likes

Obviously there’s stuff like that you want to keep out, but it’s something I can see being abused. If it violates Workshop policy, by all means. The whole being able to remove “any workshop item he wants” is what’s worrisome.

1 Like

It’s perfectly reasonable really. Like Mac said, it’s the developers game. If they don’t want something to be used in their game, then they have every right to remove it. Sure, it’s not entirely fair but think of it this way, the developer didn’t have to allow mod support at all.

Would you guys even be able to do this on your own? Because TU will be HUGE and when everyone starts making messed up shit on the workshop… in the 1000’s… It would take more then a team of devs.

I mean if it’s that huge, then we’ll have enough resources to hire more people to manage it or hire trusted community members.

In the end though, we should not have to moderate it much at all. But, we will have to get rid of any that goes against the Steam policy. We will most likely let people load mods in outside of workshop though.

Only a shitty developer would abuse that.

1 Like

So what would you class as “Too far”?

Like can we make anything that includes nudity (AKA a huge dick) or that would offend religions/culture?

Im planing on making a torture room in my condo

Except they’d be relying on the erroneous assumption that the Workshop is the only method to acquire mods or extra content for a game.

No, I don’t agree they should have the total authority to control community content, only if it violates the Workshop policy. But like Mac said, “only a shitty developer would do that”.

I guess this all is just a personal difference, since I feel the Workshop should be a largely unmoderated forum for members of a game’s community to share their content. What the developer personally likes and doesn’t like is irrelevant since there is enough community interest to warrant a given mod.

That being said, I’ve nothing against restrictions set by the Workshop, since most of them are your standard and universally agreed no radically adult or illegal content. Those should have their own niche locations, and they do. As Mac mentioned, the aforementioned “sex poses”, if you can consider them quality enough to give them that name, have no place and are in violation of Workshop policies.

holy shit what

1 Like

I just read through the Workshop terms and I didn’t see anything about not being able to upload explicit content. It does however, say that Valve can remove anything at any time, at their discretion.

Or a stupid one. With stuff like Gamergate and YouTube reviewers, they’d be blackballed immediately.

1 Like

Wow
This thread turned into a conversation about the Steam Workshop from a workshop suggestion to add a portal gun so quickly.

1 Like

At least anyone wanting to make the mod will get to hear a discussion about copyright and decide on their own whether or not they want to take the time to make the mod! I think the discussion is a little off-topic, but still helpful at the same time.

You must be new here. This happens a lot.

1 Like

I’m a regular.
I’m pretty sure I’m not new.

2 Likes

How do you imagine every player with portal guns in The Plaza? I think it would make TU worse. Also I hope we already have that boards with maps in every district. It would be good if you’ll develop some kind of game based on using portals.

1 Like

My idea is that it would be used more in the Condos, because the Lobby doesn’t have any portalable surfaces. Also, this ensures that the Lobby wouldn’t lag more, because the Portal Guns won’t be used there.

1 Like