Piano player

Hello There Matias,

I saw ur post and i love ur idea.Then i downloaded the EXPERIMENTAL VERSION,

BUT!
i dont know how to setup it.HELP MEH plz!

If you have not already downloaded it from one of the links on this response, Piano player, then please download it again from there, for some reason I can no longer update the OP because the thread is too old I guess.
But you should be able to just download it from there, unpack it and then run it. If you find any problems or have suggestions for features, just let me know :slight_smile:

Hey! Recently I have been having a problem with the program, I have no idea if its just to me a known problem.

I have used this program before multiple times with no problems for a while now, but when I try to click the default start key (F2) nothing seems to happen in gmod, and in fact on my desktop it doesn’t even start.

I tried troubleshooting by going into windowed mode with the same result, then finally I tried clicking start on my desktop then switching back to gmod, nothing was playing still.

I have the latest version installed and I have tried older versions with nothing working, I am going to attempt to going into single player to see if it works there but I am sure I will get the same result.

Please reply back to me if you have found a fix or have managed to find the problems yourself!

I will check it out, you should be able to just make it write stuff in notepad, that’s the easiest way to troubleshoot. Does the interface of the program change when you click the start button or F2?

EDIT: I just re-downloaded the latest version and tried it out myself. It works without problems so the error must be related to your system. Can you tell me if the “Clear Notes” button gets grayed out when you use the Start button or F2?

Also can you tell me what specs you are using? Os and cpu should be sufficient

Its a new day and since then I have done multiple things and it seems to have fixed the problem,

Scan for Viruses, found some and removed them.
Restarted GMOD
Restarted PC
Restarted Steam
and re-download the software in a whole.

If the problem happens again I will let you know, but the solutions above are a good fix.

1 Like

i want !!

pls no necro

1 Like

Hello. I am trying to download the Gmod variant. I believe it is the Pianer if i remember, but the dropbox link is giving me an Error 404 message.

Hey, that would be because the version on my dropbox is outdated and, most likely, removed it from there. You can find the latest release on my GitHub here.
Unfortunately, due to the age of my original post I am no longer able to update it with the correct links, so they get buried in the replies.

Thanks for your interest :slight_smile:
Let me know if you experience further problems

3 Likes

Matias, do you happen to know where we can find save files? Like a depository of such? Also, do you happen to have a discord community that follows this creation? Thanks!

I am not familiar with a resource for save files, neither did I manage to create any kind of community for this project.
I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea, but the times were different when the project started after all and it has kind of just slowly decayed since. That said, I do occasionally do some work on a few new features I wanted to add, but progress on that is very slow, but if enough people are still interested in this, I might be motivated to work more seriously on new stuff for it :slight_smile:
Maybe even consider some kind of music repository and perhaps a discord server :wink:

2 Likes

Hey Matias! I downloaded the newest (possibly) version 2.2c, it said that the problem with constantly pressing random keys was removed. But after a premature stop (software), I still press random keys on the keyboard. Because of this, strange things happen and something is constantly being moved and written.

In general, the problem has not gone away, after stopping the keys are pressed by themselves.

I hope you can help me, thanks! :pray:

2.2c is indeed the latest release if I recall correctly.

Can you go into more detail about what happened when the premature stop happened? Did the application crash, if so, do you have an idea why?

I will most likely not release any more versions on the 2.x branch of the program and a version 3 is also not likely to come out soon, but I am working on new stuff on and off but that’s for another time :wink:

The times I’ve had this issue I believe the only solution I found was to restart my computer as the problem stems from the keyboard “thinking” the buttons are being pressed but is never told to stop pressing them. Therefore I believe a reset is required. It might also possibly be fixed by plugging your keyboard in and out of your computer, I have not tested this though.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful :slight_smile:

The reboot unfortunately does not help, I recorded a video to better explain to you what is happening. Sorry, no microphone. But I think you will understand.

First I clicked Start and then Stop. But all sorts of letters like “W” and the like began to press by themselves. It is not only on this site, but everywhere (in games too)

Video - https://youtu.be/LIChN8-wbCU

Can you send me the notes you are using, I will try to see if I can replicate the issue

Of course, here:

[3u] r w r u r w r
[2y] r w r y r w r
[1t] r w r t r w r
r w 0 w r w 0 w
[3u] r w r u r w r
[2y] r w r y r w r
[1t] r w r t r w r
r w 0 w r w 0 w
[uf] x r w r u r w r
[yd] z r w r y r w r
[ts] l r w r t r w r
r w 0 w [rak] w [0pj] w
[ua] k r w r u r w r
[yp] j r w r [ya] k r w r
[tu] f r w r t r w r

Delay - 135

Hello, can you make a version that it can play songs from a midi file? it will be more efficient. Some song are not in virtual piano. Thanks.

I feel like you might be better off waiting until native MIDI support is finished. While there is a MIDI tool for Tower that exists already, it’s sort of jank and hasn’t been updated since 2019–and the official support is going to sound a lot better with multi-channel support, proper sustain, modulation/pitch changes, and better support for percussion instruments I imagine.

Madmijk on r/towerunite: There is better support in the works however! I have worked the past months on actually implementing MIDI support on all instruments, which means that you can select a MIDI input device to play the instrument with. This can be anything, including full fledged MIDI keyboards, but also virtual MIDI input devices. MIDI support is not out just yet, but as a developer I did some demonstrations (here and here). What I did was use three programs: LoopMIDI to create a virtual MIDI playback device that loops straight into a new MIDI input device, VirtualMIDISynth to reconfigure the default Windows MIDI playback device to the new LoopMIDI playback device, and finally Windows Media Player to play the MIDI files. You will notice you won’t hear anything from Windows Media Player, until you get on an instrument in the game and select the LoopMIDI input device. This setting is currently hidden for non-developers though.

Windows Media Player can be sorta touchy with these, so instead of using VirtualMIDISynth you might want to just use loopMIDI, create a loopback port–

–and then download something like vanBasco Karaoke Player and configure it to use that as it’s output device–

–and then select that input in Tower Unite MIDI .NET–

–and then hit start listening once you’re on an instrument in game and ready to play.

Once official MIDI support is out however you can ignore the Tower Unite MIDI .NET step and just set up loopMIDI and vanBasco (or VirtualMIDISynth and Windows Media Player assuming those work for you) and in-game once you get on an instrument you’ll be able to hit / and select it from the MIDI device selection section.