Piano player

Hi I just noticed that when I was playing around with the old version that didn’t work with Garry’s Mod that I noticed that the new version couldn’t play Multinotes when it contains both high and low keys but when I checked back on the old one it worked fine and it was playing it correctly and I checked to see if Version 2.2a allowed Multinotes to be played when it contained high and low keys and when I played it worked but the timing was messed up compared to V2.01

EDIT: Timing was messy because spacebar wasn’t working on v2.0.1 lol

You are correct, I made the multinotes unable to contain both on purpose.
I could possibly change it, however, if I do that it will impact the timing of delays more than it does currently.
I am still trying to figure out what I want to do about this, because currently a normal note will take 8 ms extra to play and a high note will take 16 ms extra. It’s not really something you notice unless you’re really listening for it, but if I mix low and high notes in multinotes a multinote will have an extra time of potentially (low note * 8 + high note * 16) ms.
Which, as you might imagine, will end up with a noticeable amount of unwanted delay.
Alternatively, I could make each note play on a seperate thread, that way it would be more concurrent, but this might lead to unexpected behaviour.
But as I said, I am still trying to come up with a good solution for this. But for now, multi notes are either one :slight_smile:

Well, this got a little more technical than I intended :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I just added a link to the source code to the post with all the links as I had forgotten that when I wrote the post. So yea, if you guys didn’t know, the program is completely open source and available on github :wink:

Hello everyone, I need some opinions about a feature explained in this post of mine.

I would like to know how you guys think the music pieces would be implemented in the most user friendly way.
I realise that having the music pieces in the same window as the song itself, might be confusing for some?

So my proposal is that music pieces will be a new part of the program on a seperate tab, where you define and build them.
Then you use them in the main window by doing something like this “:mymusicpiece”.

What would you guys prefer, I can also make it as proposed in the first post about it, or maybe someone has an even better solution?
Please vote on this poll so I can see what you think about it :slight_smile:

• I like the original proposal better
  • I like this proposal better
  • I have another idea (specify in a comment)
  • I don’t care about this feature

0 voters

A small developer update here,

I had hoped to get more votes on the poll, but I will let it run for another week and we’ll see what happens. Right now I will focus on other features, but it seems the new system is what people want, so I am probably gonna prepare it in that direction. But the poll will close next friday and that is when I will start to develop the music piece system properly.

Here’s a teaser for some new features I am working on.
Menu strips! I wonder what those export and import buttons are for :open_mouth:

So yea, the idea is that I want to move most of the buttons to menu strips and make more space for the note editor on the main tab. Hopefully this will make it so you can use the keybinds from any tab in the future, which would be nice :smiley:

I would really like some more music than other provided by the dev, anyone have some? The same song gets old after a while.

Alright, I have now closed the poll, and I will implement the music peiece system around my second proposal. I am also working on other features atm. however, I have been taking a couple of days off from developing the program but I expect to get back to it next week. You can always check the github for the newest updates, stable and unstable alike. Maybe you will even find some unannounced things if you look closely enough :open_mouth:

I was hoping to finish the feature I am currently working on before the poll closed so I could start the music piece system right away, but I still need to do some more work on this super secret feature :wink:

Meanwhile, I made another hotfix for the 2.2 version, 2.2c, however it was never properly released, so I guess I might as well do that here.

So the link have been updated with the new fix.
It just changes the way you stop playing a song, so you no longer spam all the keys when you stop the song.

In case you are too lazy to dig up the links yourself, I’ll just add them here for you guys :slight_smile:
Latest Experimental Release
Latest Stable Release

At the time of writing this, both branches contains the same version (2.2c).
As 2.2c is now considered stable enough to be the latest stable release.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Sweet

The problem is that if I even write there a random text like “dasdasdas” then all too early is also the problem.

Are you using the latest version? (2.2c)

So how are you guys playing things?
All files dont load for me
and when I manually paste it, it just says “a multinote cannot contain both high and low keys”
so I cant play anything

Can you post the notes you are trying to play?

"u [30f] h [30f] h [3G] [30a] a [30I]
u [18f] h [18f] h [18G] [18a] a [18I]
u [6ef] h [6ef] h [6eG] [6ea] a [6eI]-
[5wf] h [5wf] h [5wG] [5wa] a [5wI]
u [30af] h [30af] [fh] [30G] [I30a] a [30I]
u [5waf] h [5waf] [fh] [5wG] [I5wa] a [5wI]
u [6eaf] h [6eaf] [fh] [6eG] [I6ea] a [6eI]-
[8taf] h [8taf] [fh] [8tG] [I8ta] a [8tI]-

[30]-Q-[ra]aa0aa[Qd]
f [18]-Q-[ra]aa0aa[Qd]
[0f] 6 aQ d [rf]-0aa[Qd]
[0f] [7G] hQG [rh] G0d [Qd]
0 [370]-Q-[ra]aa0aa[Qd]
[0f] [158]-Qh[rG]-0h [Qf]
0 [36]-Qf[rG] h0f [QG]
[0h] [25j] hQh [rG] G0 aQ

0 [18f] d [18f] h [18af] d [18f]
h [fj] [29] h [29h] [2f] [fj] [29] [af] [29]
[6f] d [6f] h [6af] d [6f]
h [dG] [5d] d a [5dG] [ad] 5
0 [18f] d [18f] h [18af] d [18f]
h [fj] [29] h [29h] [2f] [fj] [29] [af] [29]
[5a] h [5G] d [5f] h [5G]
f [aG] [26] - [ak]-[uf]-

[3afk]-[7dz] [3afk]-[ak] [37uf]-
[18afk]-[dz] [1afk]-[8ak] [15uf]-
[6afk]-[36sl] [afk]-[6ak] [36uf]
[5pj] [oh] [25pj] [oh] [6ak] [7uf] [$uf]-
[3afk]-[7dz] [3afk]-[ak] [37uf]-
[18afk]-[dz] [1afk]-[8ak] [15uf]-
[5wafk]-[59wsl] [afk]-[5wak] [9wuf]-
[6pj] [ak] [36pj] [ak] [7pj]-[$dz]-

[7ak] [30] [dz] [370pj] [30oh] [30oh] [37uf]-
[18] [dz] [158pj] [18oh] [18oh] [158uf]-
6 [dz] [36pj] [6oh] [6oh] [36uf]-
[5uaf] [oh] [25uaf] [oh] [7IG]-[$Ira]-
[$7] [30] [dz] [370pj] [30oh] [30oh] [370uf]-
[18] [dz] [158pj] [18oh] [18oh] [158uaf]-
[5w] [dz] [59wpfj] [5woh] [5woh] [59wuf]
[6uf] [oh] [3uaf] [oh] [7IG]-[I7ra] [I7ra] 7"

and

[6sfj] 0 e r t k j h
[8osf] w t y u [tosf] h
[2ipd] 6 9 0 q s d s
[4ip] s [5oa] o
[6sfj] 0 e r t k j h
[8osf] w t y u [tosf] h
[2ipd] 6 9 0 q s d s
[6tup] 6
4 8 [qeti] 8 [qeti] 8 [qetp] 8
[5ryo] 9 e 9 [ru] 9 [ro] 9
[6tup] 0 e r t u p
[3uoa] [7s] [0a] [Qrup] [wu] q [0ruo] 3
8 [qeti] 8 [qeti] 8 [qetp] 8
[2eyo] 6 9 [0ey] Q w e [qey]
[3rup] 7 q Q [wruo] j [0k] x
[6sfj] 0 e r t k j h
[8osf] w t y u [tosf] h
[2ipd] 6 9 0 q e [ts] d s
[tup] s p f s j f
[psfj]

There are some examples I cant get to work

“loading failed: no compatible save format found”
and also the multinote high and low keys

Alright, I’ve looked into it.

The problem is the fact that some of the multinotes contain both high and low keys, as specified by the error message.

This is a problem that I am trying to solve by allowing this to happen, but at the moment I have some design problems if it is allowed.
So for now you cannot have high and low keys mixed.

I fixed the notes from one of the songs you posted, but the other one contains too many mixed notes, so I don’t have the time to fix that one.

Can you show me some of the files you are trying to load that are not recognised? That sounds weird and I would like to investigate that as well.

[details=Click here for the notes]
[6sfj] 0 e r t k j h
[8osf] w t y u [tosf] h
[2ipd] 6 9 0 q s d s
[4ip] s [5oa] o
[6sfj] 0 e r t k j h
[8osf] w t y u [tosf] h
[2ipd] 6 9 0 q s d s
[6tup] 6
4 8 [qeti] 8 [qeti] 8 [qetp] 8
[6tup] 0 e r t u p
[3uoa] [7s] [0a] [rup] [wu] q [0ruo] 3
8 [qeti] 8 [qeti] 8 [qetp] 8
[2eyo] 6 9 [0ey] Q w e [qey]
[3rup] 7 q Q [wruo] j [0k] x
[6sfj] 0 e r t k j h
[8osf] w t y u [tosf] h
[2ipd] 6 9 0 q e [ts] d s
[tup] s p f s j f
[psfj][/details]

It can’t seem to play the lower notes on this song, and it’s ont how it should be. need help

[ej] [rk] [TL] [yz] [yz7] Q r [*TL] z 5 9 w [aj] z x C v [yz] p d p b [efjx] u Sj C v x C [rkz] I S d [dz] x C [5d] 9 [wz] r L [whz] [9dj] e y e e [y9] [$QSG] J G k G GJL I p f [7ad] Q r y r [QS] d5 9 w r w [9f] G e y I h [QG] 0f[*T] [ud] S [0f] [7ad] Q T y I [rf] y [59od] 9 w r w 9 [QG] e y [ed] I e [yv] e [6pf] 0 e Td S [0d] r Su [od] d S d Q eS I d d f G QfT [QG] [QG] [f0] [QG] [*S] h G [6f] [0d]S[ra]S udo [rf]u[oh] [QG] y I p d y I [wj] y I oG hhhh | [rp] I [ad] p f I [ad] I w [rp] [yd] [po] f [yp] [od] y [9p] [ep] [yd] I f [ye] S e S S a S [ud] [pf] d [rp] I [ad] p f [QI] [ad] [QI] w
[rp] [yd] [po] f [yp] [od] y [9p] [ep] [yd] I f [yp] [ed] [*S] [*T] S a S [5ad] 7 9 w [*TS] [9yd] T 0 e T f [IG] Q r [yd] Q [rh] y [QG] 0fT d S f [5ad] 7 9 w [ep] [uf] [6d] * 0 ed S [QG] e y [ed] e [yh] [$QSG] [QI] [rp] [uf] [7ad] Q r y Q [TS] [yd] [5ry] 9 w r 9 [wf] r G Q e [yd] Q [eh] y G 0 fe [pd] S f [7d] Q r y [QI] [rf] y [5d] 9 w y w [rf] y G 6 9 Q 6 [9h] Q [6f] 0 e * [0d] 6 [*S] 0 [3od] 7 S0 [wod] [3od] 7 S0 [wod] [pd] *SQ [pd] [pd] * [pf] e
G Qfr G G Qfr G S 0 [eh] 0 G e [0f] * [3d]S[7a]S [0d]w r [7f] 0 [wh] [$G] 9 Q e d 9 [Qe] [59wj] y I o y I o I p f [7ad] Q r y r [QS] d 5 9 w r w [9f] G e y I
G 0 f,T [ud] S [0f] [7ad] Q T y Q [rf]y [5od] 9 w r w [9f] G e y [ed] I e [yh] e
[6pf] 0 e Td S [0od] rSu [od] [od] S [od] [pd] eSy [pd] [pd] f G QfT G G
f G S h G [6f] [0d]S[ra]S udo [rf]u [oh] [QG] y I pd y I [wj] y I oG y I o
[eh] y I o y I o

The mistake seems to be the multinote [Qe] just below the middle. Change that one and it should work :slight_smile:

Hello There Matias,

I saw ur post and i love ur idea.Then i downloaded the EXPERIMENTAL VERSION,

BUT!
i dont know how to setup it.HELP MEH plz!

If you have not already downloaded it from one of the links on this response, Piano player, then please download it again from there, for some reason I can no longer update the OP because the thread is too old I guess.
But you should be able to just download it from there, unpack it and then run it. If you find any problems or have suggestions for features, just let me know :slight_smile:

Hey! Recently I have been having a problem with the program, I have no idea if its just to me a known problem.

I have used this program before multiple times with no problems for a while now, but when I try to click the default start key (F2) nothing seems to happen in gmod, and in fact on my desktop it doesn’t even start.

I tried troubleshooting by going into windowed mode with the same result, then finally I tried clicking start on my desktop then switching back to gmod, nothing was playing still.

I have the latest version installed and I have tried older versions with nothing working, I am going to attempt to going into single player to see if it works there but I am sure I will get the same result.

Please reply back to me if you have found a fix or have managed to find the problems yourself!

I will check it out, you should be able to just make it write stuff in notepad, that’s the easiest way to troubleshoot. Does the interface of the program change when you click the start button or F2?

EDIT: I just re-downloaded the latest version and tried it out myself. It works without problems so the error must be related to your system. Can you tell me if the “Clear Notes” button gets grayed out when you use the Start button or F2?

Also can you tell me what specs you are using? Os and cpu should be sufficient

Its a new day and since then I have done multiple things and it seems to have fixed the problem,

Scan for Viruses, found some and removed them.
Restarted GMOD
Restarted PC
Restarted Steam
and re-download the software in a whole.

If the problem happens again I will let you know, but the solutions above are a good fix.

1 Like