Old pics of gmod tower

For not seeing a threat? How dumb do you think I am? We’re all vulnerable. Even closed systems can get hacked. You are only as strong as your weakest link. We could even be hit by an EMP and everything in your computer would be fried. Feel free to over protect yourself, but you’re not invulnerable. I used to use RAID 0 back in the day but it’s extremely expensive. Not everyone wants to buy twice the amount of drives they need. I don’t have that kind of money I’m just an indie game developer.

But not having multiple backups might destroy your entire work. It’s cheaper to have multiple backups that survive everything instead of loosing your entire work. I’m not talking about hacking threats, I’m talking about loosing data due to a drive failure, power loss, data corruption etc. Data corruption is one of the first things actually, because you don’t even notice its existence until you try to open your files years later.
I don’t own a NAS because it’s too expensive. But I own 2 external drives which I always keep in sync with my main drives on my PC. I only back up personal data (not old gameplay recordings) and therefore 1tb is enough for me.

I think you should run outside right now and buy a second external HDD and backup everything onto it. Then you store it securely at a different location.

1 Like

If I had the money to blow on that kind of stuff it would be great. Sadly I do not and I’ve got other expenses to upkeep. I keep the external unplugged 99% of the time and only plug it in when necessary. But if I had the money I’d totally be down. All of my important things are already in two different locations. But it’s not worth backing up the whole 1.5TB. Probably ~750GB of it consists of different games, screenshots, mods, videos, and textures. So I wouldn’t lose much if I lost that data. I would just have to redownload them.

I think the illusion of there being no threat was shattered the first time I encountered a self-replicating virus that embeds itself inside every file on your computer. You can try to back your stuff up, but the virus will just infect you again after reformatting because its in all of your files. And then there are the viruses that get onto your network and spread across computers. Those are really fun. After getting hacked in so many different ways you come to understand that anything you can do to your computer, other people can do to your computer. There’s only so much you can do. You have to take a stand at one point and say, “this is the stuff I can afford to lose” and, “this is the stuff I need to keep.”

1 Like