My Steam review and concerns

As one of the developers, I’d like add my two cents.

It would be nice to be able to work solidly on one thing at a time until it’s done, but unfortunately I think that one of the side effects of working on such a small team on such an ambitious project is that I get pulled around a lot. The fact that I’m an artist and level designer at once further compounds this.

A perfect example is recently: I was working on my big, new minigolf map, Odyssey. I get asked to help decorate the plaza for Halloween. That ends up morphing into implementing the entire seasonal lobby system, which put Odyssey on hold.

The fact that Tower is not just one game, but so many games in one also makes it a more difficult game to develop for. We have to balance our time between adding new content and fixing/improving content that’s already in the game. This is why you’ve been watching me jump between working on the winter plaza (new content), and also doing bug fixes in the Underwater Condo (bug fixes) and remodeling the Virus sci-fi weapons (improving existing content).

My work schedule tends to be like this:
If I’m asked to help with art or mapping work on an important new feature, or do bug fixing or art improvements on an existing feature, I will stop what I’m doing and assist. If I am not currently urgently needed anywhere else, I will default back to working on new maps for game worlds. There was a time when you saw me working almost exclusively on Oasis, or Underwater Condo, etc.

These days I’m getting tossed all over the place. Development on Odyssey isn’t abandoned, but rather temporary shelved while I work on more important parts of the game (more important meaning art required for a new feature, rather than just another new map). Same goes for C_LobbyOne (project 39). Although that one was a weird exception where I wanted to get some of the difficult initial work out of the way early, and continue working on it once we as a team shift our focus toward community condos.

20 Likes