Improved canvas customization (example UI included)

Seeing so many big projects from Pedro, Belgo, DrRabbit, Umbra, Aerie, and other’s, I can’t help, but think a small improvement to the canvas objects could really optimize their condos and allow them to build even more impressive stuff in a matter of minutes.

This way, instead of having about 300 cubes for a wall, we can do this with only one.

Here’s a little mock-up I did based on my suggestion I’m about to propose

Added features

• Multi image (texture) support
  • Pattern (repeating texture) Support
  • Dynamic patterning support
  • Image scaling support (applies to all images to keep a uniform pattern)
  • Max scaling size increased from 1 to 9999.9 (or bigger)
  • Multi-side support (The image is for cubes, but it should be changed for other shapes as well)

Benefits

• Less objects to load. Faster loading time and performance
  • Drastically improves condo building system, allowing more customization and faster building

If you wanna compensate people who had to buy so many canvases due to current limited system, you can just require more item count to increase scaling for every 10.0, for example.

I would love these as well.
As for a custom texture for each side, I had asked if that could happen on the forums or on the stream I can’t remember, but mac said it would happen. Pretty sure it was on forums idk though.

I would also like to suggest transparency support for the canvas objects. (cube mostly, but also sphere, wedge, and cone)

2 Likes

I saw this a long time ago but since it got bumped…

Every variable exposed has to be networked to all clients which will really be bad for every canvas to have these features.

Having a scale for the texture is something I want to do (adds one vector variable), adding transparency support to cubes is possible (already a variable just not exposed).

Multi image support would have to be networked as a single canvas per side, which could be overdoing it, but could be investigated. Each canvas is a block of data containing a string (url).

As for dynamic patterning, that’s probably not gonna happen.

I’d try to keep the side selection simple to reduce networking more variables as well.

Canvas Wall is something I will be working on soonish.

Most of us just want multi image support for the cube and the ramp. People who need this already do this by using even more canvas frames (one canvas object + 4 ~ 6 canvas frames), so if it’s anything it would reduce networking variables. It wouldn’t be overdoing it at all. You can simply have “all-side mode” default, and have an option to expand it to multi-sided.

Sorry to see dynamic patterning not being considered. Many condos would have looked great with it without having to use multiple objects.

Glad to hear that Canvas Wall being worked on sooner! Please let us adjust the size of textures being repeated like you mentioned (scaling textures)!

1 Like