Hypothetical Debate: Tower Unite and Steam Marketplace

i mean

One is a fake currency, the other isn’t.

If that isn’t enough of a difference I don’t know what is.

Steam cash can only be used to buy steam games (Same as how units can only buy items) so it pretty much is a fake currency. also if we dont have a steam market people are just going to trade items for items that can be sold on the market (Csgo skins and so on).

But you still pay for it with real money. It doesn’t magically pop into existence like Units or GMC do. Even if you sell an item on the market place, the money you get may not be YOUR money, but it was somebody else’s. I wouldn’t exactly call that fake currency.

I’ve slowly been opening up to the idea of having the market for TU lately, but I honestly have no idea where you are going with this.

Just because someone paid for it doesn’t make it a real currency. You wouldn’t call gems from a smartphone game a real currency but someone still paid for them

I suppose I shouldn’t try to debate about economics if I have very little knowledge on the subject to begin with. I still disagree with that belief though, but no need to argue over it.

I summed up my main problem with this on Discord a while back. I can’t find the original message but I said something along the lines of “One of two extreme scenarios COULD happen. Either items lose the value they deserve, or items will be overvalued and overpriced.”

My opinion on that still stands but as I mentioned earlier I’m loosening up to the idea a little, mostly just because it will give the developers a bit more profit. And that’s perfectly fine in my book.

I agree with this, conditionally:

The only tradable items, are limited time only items, such as christmas items, but limited time as in only has been for sale once. Not like a santa hat that is sold every year, but rather a santa-hat-wearing-obama-cardboard-cut-out that was only sold on the day of 25th December 2017 (Or something similar).

This would get rid of the RNG or Pay aspect that people don’t like, while still creating market that other people want.

A win-win in my eyes.

@macdguy Do you think this is a good resolution?

1 Like

Just make a trade station in-game so you can trade item with your friends or something like this… Don’t put it on Steam Marketplace… It will ruin a part of the game.

1 Like

I’m okay with trading but like as others said not in a Steam Market type of thing, it has split communities before (Payday) and people will take it as a “Microtransaction” type of thing where they would be paying real world currency for an item. Have the trading be similar to GMod Tower’s trading :slight_smile:

And then somebody places hula doll for 1,000 EURO/USD/DOLLARS or whatever

I like it, but this could make or break the game
I trust ya, though.

I completely agree with having a steam market just as long as cases and keys don’t come along to lock off content since that would be the true make or break since it would create the economy of the haves and have not’s like csgo, tf2, dota 2 all have and so on and so forth. Rng or pay model is an interesting way to look at things and can be debatable on one hand it can be an alternative play method for achieving hard to get things/things you get at random chances on the other hand it can undermine people who spent the 40 or so hours they took to get the item making it seem like all they did was to achieve nothing when they could have just dropped however much cash the community thinks it is worth.

Conclusion is that the steam market place would be a better alternative for funding than microtransations especially now and days of where microtransations are completely frowned upon in full games and in general specifically in early access too so that would be a huge fire that wont vanish causing a lot of people to get up and leave.

Tldr version: I agree with steam market as long as keys and cases don’t become a thing, i can see the downsides but i don’t think it will be too much of a big deal as long as its done right for the right items which seems to be the case.

1 Like

I’m cool with it.
I’m not planning on spending any actual money buying stuff, but then again, I said the same thing years ago before sinking hundreds of dollars into secondlife. :smile:
Also I’m looking forward to seeing all the stuff people are gonna make

Selling your items and buying them would be great and would let the game grow even more. Just no ingame RNG stuff like cases. :grin:

Why hasn’t this happened yet? It’s been over 1.5 years since the original post!

It was a hypothetical debate, not a guaranteed feature.

Guess it wasn’t needed, so they worked on other things.
That, and the poll wasn’t all that good IMO. For instance, I voted for “I’m ok with it”, but I don’t want to see it impemented, unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Halloween in full effect, threads are rising from the grave.

translation

I don’t know if this thread is alive, but I write my thoughts.
I’m not good at long sentences, so I use translation. Leave the original at the bottom.

Note that this assumes that the developer can configure settings such as “Tradable, Don’t sell”

My biggest fear is that I will be able to sell all the items as they are.
I will write the reason and my solution from now on.

1. Lead to a loss of motivation
    In this game, the event period is fixed.
    I also tried to get an RC sleigh at the winter event.
    So would I have tried if RC sleds were sold for 10 cents to the market?
    I will definitely pay 10 cents and not attend the event.
    And I think there are many people who feel the same way.

2. There will be more than 700 items in the market.
    There are more than 700 items in this game, including more than 600 that you can buy at the UT.
    What happens to these items “If everything is listed in the market,”?
    The answer is simple, confusing.
    Should I use search? Sure, people who play every day should remember the name of the item (I can see what kind of items there are.).
    It is probably a beginner to buy items at UT at the market, this is very confusing.

3. Items = May lead to real money
    We bought an RC car at 10,000 UT, no wonder there is no other way to get one now.
    But once the market opens up and you can buy an RC car, you can buy one for 10 cents.
    This leads to the idea that an RC car = 10 cents, and people who buy a regular RC car at UT will feel like “I played the game for 1 hour and got it. It’s 10 cents item.”.

The solution is “to sell bags of units.”
We can only sell 1000 UT back, 5000 UT back and 10,000 UT back in the market.
This way, you won’t see a lot of items in the market.
In addition, by selling UT, the RC car = 10 cents will disappear directly.
You might think, “I will buy UT, so it is the same.”
Paying real money directly and buying items by changing real money into in-game money are totally different because the world view is protected.

And all items are trade only.
That way we can open the store when the community condo function comes in.

This will make the community condo meaningful and activate condo.
Of course, this is not connected to real money = event items, so you can protect your world view.

Original text
このスレッドが生きているかどうかはわかりませんが、私は自分の考えを書きます。
私は長い文章が得意ではないので、翻訳を使います。オリジナルを一番下に残します。

注意、これは「トレード可能、販売不可」などの設定が開発者にできることを仮定して書いていきます

私が一番恐れているのは全てのアイテムをそのまま販売できるようになることです。
今からその理由と私なりの解決策を書いていきます。

1. モチベーションのダウンに繋がる
    このゲームではイベントの期間が決まっています。
    私も冬イベントではRCソリを手に入れるために努力しました。
    では、もしRCソリがマーケットに10セントで売ってたら私は努力したでしょうか?
    私は間違いなく10セントを支払い、イベントには参加しないでしょう。
    そして同じような気持ちの人が多くいると思います。

2. マーケットに700以上のアイテムが並ぶことになる
    このゲームには700以上のアイテムが存在します、UTで買えるものだけでも600以上です。
    これらのアイテムが「全てマーケットに出品されたら」どうなるでしょう?
    答えは簡単です、混乱します。
    検索を使えば良い?たしかに毎日遊んでる人はアイテムの名前を憶えている(どんなアイテムがあるかうっすらわかる)のでいいでしょうが。
    おそらくマーケットでUTで買えるアイテムを購入するのは初心者です、これは非常にわかりにくいです

3. アイテム=リアルマネーに繋がる恐れ
    私たちはRCカーを1万UTで買っています、今は他にRCカーを入手する方法がありませんから当然です。
    しかしマーケットが解放されRCカーが買えるようになると10セントでRCカーが購入できるようになります。
    これによりRCカー=10セントという考えが生まれ、普通にRCカーをUTで買った人も「ゲームを1時間遊んで手に入れたけどこれ10セントなんだよな…」って気分になるでしょう。

これらを解決する方法が「ユニットのバックを販売できるようにすることです」
私たちは1000UTのバック、5000UTのバック、1万UTのバックだけをマーケットで販売できるようにします
こうすることでマーケットに大量のアイテムが並ぶことは無くなります。
さらに、UTを売ることにより直接的にRCカー=10セントの形は無くなります
「UTを買うから同じことだ」と思う人もいるとは思いますが
直接的にリアルマネーを支払うのとリアルマネーをゲーム内マネーに変えてアイテムを買うのでは世界観が守られるのでまったく違うことです。

そして全てのアイテムはトレード限定にします。
そうすることで私たちはコミュニティcondo機能がきたときにお店を開けるようになるのです。
※画像

これによりコミュニティcondoに意味を持たせcondoを活発にすることができるでしょう。
もちろんこれもリアルマネー=イベントアイテムに繋がらないので世界観を守ることができます。

8 Likes

I corrected the sentence.

1 Like

The only real way this would work is if they don’t use Steams trading feature (all items remain untradable on the Steam market) and they have their own trading system in game where players can trade items in game. Could monetary values still be placed on items? Yeah, theoretically. Could players get scammed? Unfortunately so. But it wouldn’t allow them to be directly sold on the market or used by trade bots.

2 Likes