Hypothetical Debate: Tower Unite and Steam Marketplace

I can’t think of anyway that you could enforce that.

Easy, just make them not have any Unit value.

And again, I still have no idea what items we are talking about here.

Any items that are not available in the in-game stores (i.e. have no Unit value). RNG items.

I’ve said that in the amendment.

So this is a matter of basically, “grind” or “buy”?

You can paint it how you’d like, but in the end it’s just trading items.

My point is: people will trade for rare items, this just gives them a legit way to do it and not be scammed.

1 Like

I’m just trying to understand it is all.

I understand completely and still agree with allowing this to happen.

I would actually say no to this. I think one of the more fun parts of GMT was working for your items. I remember I actually had a corner of my suite dedicated to rare/seasonal/expensive items. If you can just buy rare items off the market, it makes them feel less valuable to people who waited and worked for them in game. Besides, the Sunabouzu shrine would feel a lot less rewarding if I found it costs $3 after I spent 15 hours in game to earn up to it. I earned those because I liked to play the game, not because I got paid and had leftover money.

If you look at the market, almost all of the market supported games have items that are earned via microtransactions or DLC. The only one I see that does not have any in game purchases is Battleblock Theater. All of the BBT items are very cheap because you can just get the majority of them by normal gameplay. The only items that cost more than ten cents are items that were glitched and were not supposed to be marketable or items won in a steam sale tie in. Because all of the items have no set value from microtransactions, they are very cheap and almost worthless.

Look at CS:GO. It costs $15 too. You could say that the players are put into 3 ‘classes’:

1. Players who do not have any skins
  2. Players who have mostly cheaper skins
  3. Players who have expensive skins/knives

Sure, you could go and get some good skins by just trading up or opening cases, but that is too hard. The marketplace and trading sites are much faster alternatives. If TU had this, it would make it so much harder to get certain items without simply buying them, creating an economic system with classes and pseudo-microtransactions.

“Now wait!” you may say, “GMT had trading too. It never messed anything up.” This is true, but in GMT, trading was allowed only for GMC and GMT items. Players were banned for trading GMT items/currency for other products. This means that you could not convert other things into GMT things, you could only exchange them for their equivalent worth.

TL;DR: The game is more rewarding when you earn things through in game means rather than IRL means, than the market does not work in a game without microtransactions, and could create pseudo-microtransactions

12 Likes

If items bought from unit stores in game are not marketable, then I see no point in having the steam market. What stops players from just spawning in workshop items instead of buying items?

Well, the only way to have access to the Workshop is to be on an Unranked server, and I’m not sure if Steam Inventory carries over to Unranked servers or not. It would make the most sense if it didn’t, allowing for purely server-sided inventories and Units.

the point is using steam market for Items that you Can’t buy in stores, like fishes, treasure and such

Maybe we could have a chance at getting drops? Like csgo tf2 etc and ONLY the drops are marketable and they have no units value. The drops could be based on a certain game example : virus flames can only be acquired by playing virus and getting the drop , minigolf ball can only be gotten if you play minigolf and get the drop etc

I’d rather see them as milestone achievement items

3 Likes

I personally would preffer NOT to have any kind of trading with other currency than Units. It’s much more fun to earn stuff “legit” way through game, than just use easy way by buying it with money, even though It’s community driven Steam Marketplace.

Remember, “This game will have absolutely no micro-transactions” and Steam Marketplace is kind of micro-transactions, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Perhaps players should be given a choice whether or not to “ruin” the game for themselves by being able to buy items from the Market? They can just decide to start over again if the game gets too boring for them. I personally don’t like it when the game designer gets total control with what experience I get to have with the game; isn’t that the player’s decision?

Again, it should be each player’s choice what they do with a game. If they want to waste their wallet on a bunch of items in a virtual world, then why not let them? It’s not like the Market is a part of the actual game, only outside of it. Technically speaking, there are no microtransactions within the game with the Market implemented. Most of the money goes to other players, anyway.

Steam Marketplace might not be technically be a micro-transactions, but it sure is practically. It gives players a shortcut to rare items, that are rare for reason - they’re harder to get than regular items. With this implemented, they are not that rare when you have money.

And again, developers clearly stated there will be NO micro-transactions. This kind of makes that sentence false.

Definitely this.
But still, I’m torn on the RNG items…

I think the developers should clarify that they offer NO microtransactions. I don’t think anyone will throw a fit about this since there isn’t a way to buy anything in-game. The Market is basically a trading site all on its own, all in a convenient location. Trading items is bound to happen one way or another if TU gets as big as we think it will.

About what items exactly should be marketable, I’m not exactly sure. I like the idea of rare and RNG items being marketable, but then their worth in-game would drop. Perhaps more rarer and unmarketable items should be included into the game to serve as the “respect” items or whatever.

IMO the Market should be used for obtaining an item quickly if you need it for something, like buying an item for a friend or for a Let’s Play. Of course playing the game is funner and spending money isn’t. The Market can be a helpful place to have access to items that you don’t care to grind for or wait for to get, instead of asking to trade with everybody in hopes that one of them has the item you’re looking for.

In the end, this seems like a choice between time or money, efficiency or respect, and Market or no Market, that I think each player should decide on their own for themselves.

I’m Noob, I’ve been trading GMC to ?(anything steam inv related generally trading cards because they are easy sells), buy the trading cards super cheap in gmc, run around to the richest players (Thanks for listing them on the website :wink: ) then sell them for profit. easy right? yes, but that’s so called illegal because apparently scamming problems in the past which is the issue, when you bring it into steam trading No one is scammed(generally), because both parties can receive at the exact same time rather then trading one set of currency and then accepting another… I think it would be very beneficial if every single item was on the market, The reason behind it is the fact there will practically be no items on the marketplace in the first place if its just treasure hunting and some random little things… You gotta remember GMT had Millionaires and some in the double digits… we need high ticket items that are generally easily obtained with units to be able to sell to get it flowing to be profitable in a players standpoint and or merchants standpoint. Don’t you guys make some % on the items being on the market? seems like everyone wins,

1. Keeps market flowing (I’m a trader it’s what i do in most games including GMT)
  2. Keeps Devs happy because they get a small % income (i assume)
  3. Keeps players without money happy because they can play the game and sell it for stuff to probably buy csgo skins

And you have to remember Most things will NOT be expensive referring to cs-go crazy, I think the most an item depending on actual total# / Rarity would be $50… if that. Eh, I think it should be allowed and every item above a certain Unit amount should be added. It could imo hurt the game in regards of traders and consumers if it wasn’t added because it takes away possibilities.

-Sorry for the terrible writing skills lol, I make currency not essays.

Elaborate with me… i’d like to hear what i should expand apon.

1 Like

If its not $200 on the steam market it would be 2,000,000 Units in game trading. So whats the difference?