Hypothetical Debate: Tower Unite and Steam Marketplace

The supply will be much, much higher than the demand. Because items don’t dissapear once obtained.

Which would mean super low prices :wink:

Is that bad or good?

Well, (and this depends on like…the types of items, I’m going to use a couch as this example), a couch would be something like 3 cents or something like that. Assuming there is higher supply than demand.

Maybe the items that can be bought at the Market should only be consumable items, like cases in CS:GO. Or perhaps just really rare… or limited time/seasonal.

Then again, the more players who join the game, the higher the demand.

Is it 100% that units are worth more than GMC?

Yes, it has been confirmed that Units will be worth more than GMC. What the conversion rate is has yet to be officially stated.

1 Like

I think no items besides miscellaneous consumables or other misc items should be sold there, not even rare items. The player-driven economy in TU should be 100% in-game with Units, not involving any real money. Units is what should rule the world in TU, not real money.

5 Likes

I thought about it a bit more
And I have to say… I’m torn… I cannot decide which option would be better. Voted “I don’t care either way”

Well, I guess Unranked servers will have 100% player driven economies with only Units. Ranked servers IMO should be influenced by the Steam Marketplace. Unranked servers don’t always need to have mods on them.

I guess players will have the option between the larger global economy with the Market, or all of the smaller server-specific economies without the influence of the Market. Which type of server the players choose to go on is entirely up to them.

Achievement Items will not be tradeable/marketable, right?
I would hate if I spent a lot of time doing something to get some achievement item or something rare to see someone who’s have a lot of money just buy it and throw it in our faces.

I don’t like the idea of the Market, but it looks like a lot of people do, so, I don’t know, I just hope not all items are marketable.

2 Likes

I’m leaning towards no Steam marketplace transactions but like @Erickson9610 said I would be ok with it if there was some sort of “Steam market” tag to show people if you bought an item from the market or not, and that would also go along with the “genuine” item meter in the condo. (Maybe make it so that any item traded through Steam market will automatically get tagged as “Steam market” ? Dunno how hard that would be to implement)

2 Likes

I was about to say something like @antieye555 , matt said that a condo was a “bragging right” so let me recap what I think…

I’m not a fan of steam market as most of the games on it has micro-transaction, but If making Tower Unite using the market have to be done… then we still would have to give credits to the people who originally obtained the Item, like a “first earned by /username/” in the item description on rare items (not purchasable in store then) and if it has been selled and bought on the market, the item earns a “Marketed” Tag (if possible) so everyone can play the way they want and still is fair for the ones who spend hours in-game to earn the items

1 Like

I don’t think Steam Marketplace supports this at all. As far as the marketplace is concerned, it just puts an item in someone’s inventory when someone buys it. I’d think it’s very unlikely (I’d have to look at the documents) that Steam Marketplace carries Item Metadata with it.

But it’s not the market that change the item quality and description, but the game itself… What if we can convert in-game items that you want to get ready to sell on the market (again, not the one you get in stores) then only when it’s converted, you can go on the market and sell the item, it would also let the player confirming his action

The only problem that would happen is if one wanted to take the item down from the Steam market, it would still have the quality. Maybe something like that could be applied in-game after the transaction

Personally, I think that having the steam market is ok, however I think players should be able to see how much of the players inventory/ items have been bought with units versus being purchased with real money.

The same genuine system that is being proposed for the steam workshop could be used, so that when you check a player’s profile, it gives you a genuine percentage, with items purchased with units being genuine and items from the market being non genuine. You could also break this down to show which items have been purchased from the market and show how much the item costs in units and how much it costs in the users local currency on the market.

Those are just my two cents. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Garry Newman says it best in his blog post:

Tl;DR: Guys with disposable income win because they look better than everyone, people who don’t care about looking nice or don’t have money win because they get items just from playing the game, which they can sell for money on games, and the developers win by taking a cut and giving people more reason to play.

Steam market is a much better way of doing microtransactions and I’d have no problem at all with you guys including it in the game.

1 Like

Personally would love the option to community trade items. Beats waiting for the steam escrow.

Personally, I would love to actually be able to get money from items I earn in Tower Unite. Just as long as players can’t sell these items for units that they spent real money on. That would really suck.