[Heavy WIP] GMod Tower Ball Race Recreation

UPDATE:
Since this thread has caused a small amount of controversy causing it to get locked, please add me on steam if you are interested in this gamemode: Steam Community :: meharryp

I’m planning on moving away from GMT content because of certain people being upset, so if you’re a mapper or interested in mapping please add me. Leaving a comment would be appreciated.

So a few months back I posted this:

Someone bumped the thread and I got a PM about this today so I thought “screw it, I’ll keep making it”.

Basically, this is a clone of GMod Tower’s Ball Race. I’m making this with the intent of being able to replay the old maps that everyone knew and loved. The physics aren’t perfect right now and it’s far from done, but I figured I’d make a video anyway to show it off.

I should explain some things in this video:

• This is just done in sandbox right now, hence the health bar and tips
  • Level 1 is impossible due to the launch pad being too slow, hence why I skipped it
  • You can’t do the loop level due to the launch pads being too slow
  • HL2:EP2 isn’t mounted, hence the missing textures and boulders on level 2
  • Bumpers (the barrels) are not done at all
  • I suck at ball race

There will be a server up running a proper recreation of Ball Race that works much better than this video shortly, so you’ll be able to experience your favourite GMT maps all over again, except with worse physics.

10 Likes

This is amazing, great work so far!

When this is done you should do mini golf! Great work so far and hope to play it by the end of 2017 which is a year from now but you know long from done is what you said.

1 Like

You do not have our permission to use our assets.

Using our assets to create your own gamemode is copyright infringement.

2 Likes

Even if you make it for only yourself to use?

I replied to him because of:

If you make it for yourself, generally it’s alright as long as it’s not stolen code. At the end of the day, we reserve the right to say yes or no.

7 Likes

Just out of curiosity, do your copyright claims trump the rules of the Garry’s Mod Steam Workshop?
There’s a direct quote that states you can’t dictate whether or not servers can use the content you upload to Workshop and that doing so will have your addons removed or flagged as incompatible.

https://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Steam_Workshop_Rules

These rules are agreed upon when you upload content to the Workshop
“Everyone is allowed to use addons you upload - Steam Workshop is not your personal file hosting, it is a distribution service for your mods and the like. By uploading your addons to Steam Workshop you agree that anyone can download and use your uploaded content, anyone is allowed to edit it (though not redistribute it without your consent, edited or not). You can’t say “you are not allowed to use this addon on your server” or similar things. Adding code that would stop people from using your addon on their servers falls into the Malicious Code category.”

I can understand why you wouldn’t want someone to make something that in part competes with your current game, but I’m not sure you reserve the right to stop it from happening altogether based on terms that you’ve agreed to.

3 Likes

Copyright will trump rules that are on a wiki page, yes.

In the end, a judge decides all copyright matters and we have morale rights to our content.

We don’t want people doing this and we’ve been taking down our stuff on workshop, which ends the agreement.

At the end of the day, we want to protect our work and not have it propagated without our consent.

4 Likes

Ah, if the content being used is no longer available on the Workshop, I agree entirely. Anything that’s on there that you don’t want people to use, though, really shouldn’t still be there. Just my two cents since it is technically rule-breaking and can be marked incompatible. There’s other things you can use for archival purposes.

The issue here isn’t archival purposes, it’s just recreating our game using our assets. It’s morally wrong to do.

Also, we have removed the content from workshop.

3 Likes

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement

All code is written by myself. I don’t even know how I’d be able to steal code from GMT since it’s dead.

Most of what you see in that video was done in a night so It’s not going to take that long lol

Edit:
I’ve updated the OP, since this thread is locked now please add me on steam if you have any interest. I’m looking for mappers or people interested in mapping, your skill level doesn’t matter.

I may also, respectfully, lock this thread and any future threads of this nature from you.

This forum isn’t for creating drama or trying to one up the developers.

Don’t use our content (which includes our art) without our permission.

5 Likes