GMod Tower: What could have been. Also, a call for research!

Today, I perused the GMod Tower Trello page. It was a very melancholy feeling. I was glad to see what had been created over the years. What was made. What was changed. I was also quite dreaded by the fact so much was left undone. This is the story of those which never were. If anybody has any extra exidence, plans, or content on these things, PLEASE post them as a reply to this thread! Especially you, devs. You got the hot deets I want.

##GAMEMODES
Turns out, the devs had worked on a couple of gamemodes before they dropped work on GMT. Here’s what they’d worked on or planned:
-A gamemode based around Animal Crossing: Sweet Day, a minigame included in the Wii U launch game ‘Nintendo Land’. The only information ever released about the gamemode (as far as I could find) was the Trello description; “pew pew candy and stuff”. Truly elegant.
-A gamemode called “Gourmet Race”. Anybody who’s played Kirby Super Star may be familiar; it is a game based on racing an opponent to get the most food. Not much of anything was release on this mode. It was said at one point the only thing remaining it needed was maps, but nobody knows but the devs now.
-An on-rail shooter. Nothing at all on this one, just the idea. Massaki decided to throw together a logo image, without a confirmed naem or anything. Just for fun.
-A sub-mode of PVP Battle called PVP Battle: Battle Royal. The point was that each player would spawn with one weapon and one life. Killing players allowed you to retrieve their weapon.
-Another sub-gamemode: Ball Race: Party Battle!. This was pretty much going to be battle mode from Super Monkey Ball.
-“Rokkitball Gamemode (TBD)” This one’s just a concept too. Here is a match of RokkitBall that Matt linked with the idea, mostly to be used as an example.
-Marble Blast. This one’s real juicy. There’s a whole bunch of information and stuff on this mode, and it looks near finished. If I’m honest, I don’t really have a strict, or even good idea on what the hell is going on, but I love it. There are two screencaps attatched (1) (2). The checkmarks (ToDo list) for this card is mostly filled out! There’s a couple polishing things left out, and some more post-release map ideas. Really disappointed to see this one go.
-Here’s the one most will remember- Monotone. This gamemode, based off of the game Unfinished Swan, is centered around filling your surroundings with ink. They were making Splatoon before it was cool. Attatched are 3 test screencaps (1) (2) (3). The develpoers worked on this one for a long time. They were so confident in it and it’s release, in fact, that they made a gamemode port for it in Lobby 1. And there it stood. Until Lobby 2 came around and they were all, “The hell with that”.

##MAPS
Some gamemodes had upcoming maps that never say the light of day. Here’s a couple from the Trello:

• Ball Race map: Midori. Here’s a familiar one! That’s right- Midori was originally a Gmod Tower map. There was in fact a time where a closed alpha session of the map was open for donors. However, it was never released for all users. Here’s a screencap!
  • Zombie Massacre map: Waterloo Docks. Not a whole bunch on this one, but it looks like it would have been a more claustrophobic map, with tighter walkways leaving less room to deal with zombies. We got a pretty picture on this one.
  • Source Karts map: Desert (working title). The first track was finished, but that’s about it. Here’s a screencap.
  • Source Karts map: New Forest. The first 2 tracks were completed (excluding scenery). We have 3 screencaps on this one! (1) (2) (3). Looks pretty.
  • UCH map redux: TazmilyVillage remake. This map was going to be remade, this time with a TF2-type visual style. Here’s an early screenshot.
  • Source Karts map: Space Racers. This map has no images, nothing really at all. Will AKA Donglekumquat said that he wanted to see the map because he had music for it. Poor guy.

OTHER TWEAKS

Not much else, but the existing modes had several tweaks and edits planned for them to make them better. Here’s a couple important ones:

ZOMBIE MASSACRE: Nextbot Support (Nextbot is an improved AI system), new weapons: Double Barrel Shotgun, Bow, Flare Gun, Winchester, Homing Missiles, Molotov, Railgun, Lightgun, and Power Fists. Crosshair improvements (seeing it), UI changes, debuffing Electrician, improving Bosses, and removing the first day (“because it sucks”, the card says)
VIRUS: Plaza Rifle HUD, better weapon GUI, sniper replacement, more dramatic Enraged trigger, and an Aztec remake.
BALL RACE: Better “Waiting For Players” sequence, a togglable option to hide all other players, a “Golden Banana” (Here’s what it would do). Poor @CrazyMikeComics, he never got his golden bananas. wasnt for lack of trying.
PVP BATTLE: Fix explosives sucking, a killfeed as opposed to chat messages, mutators, weapon statistics, and improved powerup graphics.
MINIGOLF: Arrows that show scorecard changes between holes (like stock markets), fixing Kurafuru Garden and Sandbar, and another art pass on Moon and Waterhole.
SOURCE KARTS: Fix the whole fucking gamemode
UCH: Fix hitboxes/ lag.

FUTURE GOALS

Little things the devs wanted to add extra.

• More milestones. What was planned: A Mr. Saturn Pet (UCH), PulpVibe (Walljump)(PVPB), Helicopter (ZM), Pet Dog (ZM), Golf Bag (Minigolf).
  • More furniture (Listed: Shelves, Dining Room Table/Chairs, Modern Table, Trophy Cabinet)
  • THE WHOLE NEW ARCADE! This stuff is really ambitious. It was to include: RC Cars and Boats (Here’s Matt’s little concept art), Skee Ball, Basket Ball, Air Hockey, Water Shooter (like at carnivals), Gun Gallery, Pacman VS., Bumper Cars, Space Shooter, Retro Cabinets, 1v1 Games, and Bowling. Some of those are already coming straight to TU.
  • Storing extra info to condo items (Color, string data, and int. data)
  • “New Minigame System” I really dont know what this would entail, which is okay because there’s a bunch of info on the Trello. JUST KIDDING! It’s fucking nothing.
  • Drum Kit
  • Improved Bar
  • Option to auto-trunk any gained item past full inventory
  • Better inventory management alltogether
  • Particle Store (This was mostly done, excluding an icon model and a couple particles. There was even an image.)
  • A Party Store. Planned items included Cake, Balloons, Ribbons, a Fog Machine (was finished), Confetti Machine, Popcorn Machine, and Bubble Gum. Here’s a forum link to the suggestion.
  • A Garden Store. Plants, growing plants, trees, watering, etc.
  • Book Store
  • Some sort of login bonus
  • Steam group bonus
  • More drinks at the bar.
  • Sorting tabs in the building store.
  • Leaderboards
  • SHARING CONDOS (friends placing items n stuff)
  • Leaderboards
  • Suite ‘fly’ mode.
  • Tutorial-like tips for new players.
  • Customizable control schemes for gamemodes
  • Theatre Popcorn
  • Rhythm Games. This included StepMania and Guitar Hero. Some work was done on these, but nothin huge.
  • Boss Battles
  • Speedy boots
  • Display achievements on profile
  • Ad boards
  • Pet Melon House
  • Allow appearance changing in gamemodes.
  • More blender ingredients
  • Better Camera

LITTLE STUFF

Tower Unite.

THAT’S ALL

I hope you guys enjoyed this big list I compiled! I spent a while on it. Some of this stuff is pretty cool and I’m a bit sad we never saw it. Oh well. If any developers have any remaining behind the scenes content, never released stuff, concept art, ANYTHING! I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO SEE IT! Or, if anybody else on the forums can dig up any nice and interesting content we’ve not really seen, PLEASE post it below. You’ll at the very least be getting a like from me.

EDITS/ OTHER DISCOVERED INFO

EDIT 1: If you’ve not seen this post about the original plans for GMod Tower, please take a look. I highly recommend it.
EDIT 2: A huge thank you to @CrazyMikeComics, because he alerted me about a new map for BallRace that was being developed by Madmijk. It was called “Rave”, and it was all indoors with a disco and rave theme. We have 3 screenshots! (1) (2) (3) . It looks very promising. This may be the inspiration for the new BallRace map that is being developed right now (as of 4/25/16) for Tower Unite.
EDIT 3: Another huge thanks goes to @Bumpy226, who knew about an old video with MONOTONE GAMEPLAY!
EDIT 4: @Lifeless has taken out some time to dig through his PC and find some shots of old, unused/unfinished maps! Rather than linking them all (there’s a lot), click HERE to see his reply to this thread, or simply scroll down.

18 Likes

If you want some information on the Ball Race map Midori, you’re in luck because the map is still in the actual files of the game. If open up Garry’s Mod, go to “Start New Game” and go to “GMod Tower” you can actually load up the Midori map and look around it. It has working obstacles and everything.

1 Like

Also I still remember that a Ball Race map called Oblivion was planned. However, the concept was trashed and the trello cart for it was deleted, and Midori replaced it. Not sure why, but I guess it is because the theme of Oblivion was a pain to look at. Or is it just me?

2 Likes

Oblivion and Midori are the same map. During development Lifeless redesigned the theme and changed the name.

Don’t forget Rave, a community map by Madmijk. the map was at a very near completion until mike lost motivation due to the announcement of Tower Unite.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for telling me about this! I’ve added it to the list.

I did a bit of searching and I found the VIP Beta Test content, and I downloaded it and flew around. Looks like most of the holes came over to TU.

Forgot to mention that, that is a fact as well. Midori and Oblivion are basically the same map, just with a different theme.

Looks like the one MK8 level

EDIT: It’s called electrodome

1 Like

AKA Planet Panic

Maybe. I mean, pew pew candy and stuff could be a lot of things. @macdguy would have to confirm if this was actually the basis for PP.

You can still download Midori here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=165274334
and here is a video of the gamemode Monotone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7RHNDIP-c

1 Like

I could swear I somewhere saw gameplay of a ball race map that was supposed to be underwater.
The gravity was slightly lower I think.

I can’t find anything about it anymore, but I’m pretty sure I saw it somewhere.

1 Like

Man I really want this map to be a thing. Looks really different from the others.

1 Like

I think the developer mentioned in multiple occasions there were a few maps for GMT that we’re almost near completion but never saw the light of the day, I do hope one of them stops by and shows some of those. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I personally want some of these to make into Tower Unite, either by official methods or by modding them in - especially stuff such as gardening. Seems pretty zen. :tulip:

1 Like

Ive got a few hanging around. All at varying completions, and some ingame/in hammer. Im missing some of the content, so you’ll see some missing materials and models.

Im also gonna say this now, these will all never see the light of day in their current state. Id completely redo them if I were to bring them over to TU. Some outright break copyright rules!

Zombie Massacre - Waterloo Docks

Gourmet Race - The Nile

Errr… Test Ballrace map

Source Karts - New Forest

UCH Campin Cabins

UCH Thunder Tower

Virus Sewage (A remake)

I likely have more, but I cant be bothered to find them right now…

EDIT: Bonus Lobby 2 first “Beta” screenshots. Good lord these are awful

16 Likes

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THESE! This is SO COOL! I love them, and I very much appretiate your sharing them.

2 Likes

Developers are truly the best.

3 Likes

HUGE UNUSED VIDEO DUMP ENJOY.

4 Likes

- Contains Secret Streamer Preview

5 Likes

These are awesome! Thanks a whole bunch for sharing.

yooo, that’s so awesome to see