Free Game: Fallout 1

Fallout 1 is free on steam until October 1st.

Sorry this is late, just found out about it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/38400/Fallout_A_Post_Nuclear_Role_Playing_Game/

EDIT: http://store.steampowered.com/app/38400/Fallout_A_Post_Nuclear_Role_Playing_Game/ Here’s the link because it doesnt look like the embed’s working.

7 Likes

Pick it up if you can. It’s one of the good Fallout RPGs. (Mostly because Bethesda didn’t have anything to do with it)

first abe odyseey now fallout 1? why always those games i already bought?

What’s wrong with Bethesda? The Elder Scrolls is my all-time favorite game series and Fallout 4 was fantastic.

In recent years they’ve been turning RPGs into easy-to-sell shallow action games, Fallout 4 is a pretty bad game IMO.

No longer is there a world that makes sense (Fallout 4’s world is just a one big nonsensical arena leading to linear dungeons with generic scalling enemies and loot, with no thought put into it), nowhere to be seen are skills and skillchecks that made characters unique and their journey meaningful, you can’t even create your own character with their own backstory (you’re either Nate or Nora, personality and skill-wise).

The quests are pretty bad (most of them being linear “kill this, bring this, meet him, save them”- type quests with uninteresting plots and very little to no decisions, that feel more like work or Borderlands quests rather than small adventures) and the story is dumb and more often than not makes zero sense. (the biggest offenders here being The Institute, the Commonwealth strain of supermutants, or the Cabot house) It honestly feels like the writers at Bethesda go with whatever seems most “cool” to them, rather than with what would make for a good, in-depth story. For an example of a well-crafted quest, here’s a flowchart of one of New Vegas’ side-quests:

Summary

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/554/5540228/2879499-7659980816-mAENC.jpg

1 Like

Yeah, I mean, the game could’ve used a bit more freedom but besides that, I loved it. There are plenty of skills and there’s character customization so, I don’t know what you’re talking about there. I also really liked the story. Especially far harbor. The far harbor storyline was incredible.

Wait, what…?
There are no skills in Fallout 4, only perks…

You can change your character’s appearance, but you can’t change their backstory, personality (besides good/neutral/evil), or (once again) skills. In, let’s say, New Vegas, you can create almost any human being you can imagine. Want to play a stupid explosives-loving NCR-hating but for some reason House-supporting savant whose only goal in life is to get the biggest bombs? You can do that. The game doesn’t force you into wanting to save your son or being a pre-war army veteran. The lack of speech skill (or raw charisma, when dealing with children and such) means you won’t get very far in any normal conversation, but if explosives ever come up, you’ll suddenly shine. Same with blowing stuff up outside of combat. You can also have bad relations with the NCR, but good with House and his Strip. In 4, you can either be Nate, a pre-war veteran, or Nora, his wife. You have to want to save your son. The only difference between each “character” is if you put points into charisma or not, and even then you can reload speechecks and try again everytime you fail one.

Ah, well yeah, it’s definitely not that details but having never played any of the other fallouts aside from about a half hour of 3, I don’t really mind the character system. It is definitely more of an action game then an RPG though, I’ll give you that. It does still have some RPG elements though.

You know what, I realized I shouldn’t be all that negative. Fallout 4 has its good points, too. It’s a much better action game than it is an RPG, that’s for sure. The combat, for one thing, feels amazing, if you rate it like an action game’s combat. The companions are also great. Heck, I thought the factions, despite (IMO) not making much sense half of the time, were pretty interesting in concept. The game did convince me to support the “evil” faction, after all.

I just feel like Bethesda shouldn’t have ever purchased the Fallout brand and turned it into what it’s now. Especially since the former Fallout devs a) wanted to buy the IP as well b) actually got to work on a Fallout game after that, and, despite the deadlines set by Bethesda, made one of the best Fallout RPGs (and western RPGs overall, I dare say) ever. (New Vegas)

TLDR: Fallout 4 isn’t IMO a bad game, but I can’t support it because of what it could have been, had Bethesda not purchased the brand instead of the former devs. It has very little of what made Fallout Fallout and it feels more like a reskin of a generic semi-randomly generated/leveling/item looting/questing action game.